•  
SailorSteve
Fantastic TROSaracen delighted for you!
Nov 2023
11:59am, 28 Nov 2023
22,719 posts
  •  
larkim
Hope everyone has got their emails now! Just seen on twitter that Sophie Rayworth has also got in via this route; and given you'd imagine she was a dead cert to be gifted a celeb place, that's pretty impressive that she hangs with the other GFA-ers in the application process.
Nov 2023
2:11pm, 28 Nov 2023
2,187 posts
  •  
auburnette
Yep I got mine in the end! Goal for next year is to requalify but would also be great to go under 3.30. I need to get my half down to about 1:37 to have a realistic chance of that I think.
Dec 2023
7:04pm, 20 Dec 2023
67 posts
  •  
Chrismean
Is there any particular half people will be targeting in their London marathon build?
Dec 2023
7:55pm, 20 Dec 2023
2,479 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Mat not be much use but, in the days when I was diligent about running a “sharpener” half, I enjoyed Hampton Court and the White Horse near Oxford. Both well organised and enjoyable, although the WH was more to my liking - rural roads and nice running club feel - whereas the HC used a section of Thames path that was variously busy (public and runners) and fairly puddle/pothole strewn, although that was on a particularly foul day. Courses may have changed in the last five years, but I’d happily do either again if the timing still works.
Dec 2023
9:29pm, 20 Dec 2023
68 posts
  •  
Chrismean
Thanks so Munch for the suggestions :-)

My ideal would be flattish, closed course and I don’t mind traveling. Just wondered whether there are well trodden “classics” to do before London

Mat not be much use but, in the days when I was diligent about running a “sharpener” half, I enjoyed Hampton Court and the White Horse near Oxford. Both well organised and enjoyable, although the WH was more to my liking - rural roads and nice running club feel - whereas the HC used a section of Thames path that was variously busy (public and runners) and fairly puddle/pothole strewn, although that was on a particularly foul day. Courses may have changed in the last five years, but I’d happily do either again if the timing still works.
22 Apr
6:02pm, 22 Apr 2024
5,923 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
I see next years GFA times have got faster again. As a 60 year old chap, it’s now 3:37, down from 3:45, and that’s just to apply, guessing to get in would need something between 3:33 and 3:34. I have run faster than that before, but that was 8 years ago, probably not going to happen on my aged legs.
22 Apr
6:16pm, 22 Apr 2024
27,742 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
I remember aiming for GFA back in 2007/8 ish - I was in M40-44 (age 41-42ish) and the target was 3:15, guaranteed entry with 3:14:59 - I qualified with a 3:13.

Last year my target was 3:20 in M55-59, I ran another 3:13 and I believe the cut off was around 3:15, so I made it by around 90 seconds.

Next year the target is 3:15 M55-59, so assuming that GFA is oversubscribed my 57 year old self could run the same 3:13 I ran 16 years earlier and not make GFA!!
3:55pm
3:55pm, 23 Apr 2024
1,075 posts
  •  
Dibble
Dillthedog wrote:I see next years GFA times have got faster again.

Given that they now fix the numbers at 6,000 it must mean people are getting faster or is it more of us are achieving the times or is it the shoes are getting faster?

I have just over 5 minutes leeway under the time needed to apply for my age, so it could be close. The next age band gives me an extra hour! (but I expect it will have changed by then).

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by willdowney
So i got an email telling me my number had changed so i phoned them to confirm i was still starting ...