Logging Injuries

1 watcher
Jun 2013
5:16pm, 7 Jun 2013
12,512 posts
  •  
Discovery Dave
You know what I would like?

I would like a way of tracking my injury progress/discomfort that creates some sort of historical log, like the weight logging, so that I can - for example - cross-reference it with my training log to see if different kinds of exercise/running/terrain make it better or worse.

Or look for spikes and dips over time to try and spot other things that make it worse or better - like long car journeys or sitting in a certain office chair or eating sprouts.

My physio has suggested that I try to look for patterns, and it strikes me that:

1. The kind of thing that Fetcheveryone is usually really, really good for.
2. There doesn't seem to be a way of doing it currently.
3. Fetch probably has the code to make it happen mostly done, by mashing together existing bits, Frankenstein-stylie.

But maybe I'm alone in that.

Any thoughts, anyone?
Jun 2013
5:21pm, 7 Jun 2013
477 posts
  •  
old mum
I use the comments section of my training log to note niggles/injuries and score them out of ten. Have found that particularly useful in recording my hip progress and, more recently, my pf.

Agree it would be nice but given the huge range of injuries that can occur in the various exercise options, not sure how practical it would be. How do you log the kind of injury? What if it's just a niggle? And where is it niggly/injured? What sort of scale would you use to record it? Etc, etc.

That said, Mr F is a genius so if he can't do it, it can't be done.
Jun 2013
5:28pm, 7 Jun 2013
12,513 posts
  •  
Discovery Dave
I wouldn't put it in the training notes, because I'm more interested in how much it hurts in between training sessions. I haven't run since Wednesday, but it's not 100% today.
Jun 2013
5:44pm, 7 Jun 2013
478 posts
  •  
old mum
Ah, see, I add it in historically if needs be. So, on the day it may hip 5/10 (1 being easy, 10 being 'fuck me that hurts'), pf 2/10. If I then get pain later that day I'll go back in and add "2h post run, hip 8/10, twinges/stabbing pain at site". I then also add in any remedial work I think I should do - stretching, rest and the like, as a reminder of what my thinking was at the time. The following scoring then indicates whether this line of thinking was a good or bad one.
Jun 2013
9:16pm, 7 Jun 2013
7,115 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
There is an injuries section on your training log, if you keep it detailed you could cross reference with training events
Jun 2013
9:22pm, 7 Jun 2013
9,309 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I thought this was going to be an empathy thread for lumberjacks when I saw the title.
Jun 2013
11:15am, 8 Jun 2013
12,514 posts
  •  
Discovery Dave
SoaPy, I'm not sure the injuries section keeps much historical info, though? More a cross-section of how fit or otherwise we are now?
Jun 2013
1:15pm, 8 Jun 2013
569 posts
  •  
Jubear
DD - I've logged (and continue to log) detailed ankle recovery data in my injuries log, plus other stuff. It works fine but you'd have to manually cross-reference it with your training levels
Jun 2013
2:12pm, 8 Jun 2013
395 posts
  •  
Muddie
I'd just like to be able to put the date in when first logging the injury [I don't always log it when it first appears]. Also for updating the status.

Really I'd rather not have to use that feature at all. :-)
Jun 2013
3:15pm, 8 Jun 2013
1,314 posts
  •  
Dooogs
RS - you got there first. :) I was about to google "and then this tree fell on me"...

About This Thread

Maintained by Fat Dave
You know what I would like?

I would like a way of tracking my injury progress/discomfort that cre...