Logging activities: A question of trust

5 watchers
Jun 2012
2:45pm, 20 Jun 2012
2,895 posts
  •  
island991
There is one downhill segment near me, which I ride fairly often. It gets quite narrow, dark (over hung), and has a tightish blind bend. Could be nasty. On the hand I was quite pleased to see I was high up on the leader board!

I presume singletrack is talking about mtb downhills?
Jun 2012
3:24pm, 20 Jun 2012
60,868 posts
  •  
GregP
Predominantly, yes.
Jun 2012
3:29pm, 20 Jun 2012
2,896 posts
  •  
island991
Big lumps like me go downhill rather well.
Jun 2012
10:35am, 23 Jun 2012
3,375 posts
  •  
Badger
Speaking of downhills on Strava...

velonews.competitor.com
Jun 2012
4:48pm, 23 Jun 2012
60,957 posts
  •  
GregP
Crikey. I've forwarded it to Jenn at Singletrack - you read her article I assume?
Jun 2012
6:05pm, 23 Jun 2012
2,901 posts
  •  
island991
These people have to take responsibility themselves IMO. We all set times, and try and beat them in training, and have done for years using GPS or just a stopwatch. Should we be suing garmin for making accurate gps?

As for the guy doing 35 in a 25 zone, well that's breaking the law, reckless, he hit and killed someone and he has to pay the price.

If you cycle recklessly its your own fault, accidents happen, strava or no strava.
Jun 2012
6:06pm, 23 Jun 2012
2,902 posts
  •  
island991
* steps off soap box
Jun 2012
6:09pm, 23 Jun 2012
2,903 posts
  •  
island991
Infact reading it again they were both exceeding speed limits.

This litigious world winds me up something rotten.
Jun 2012
6:26pm, 23 Jun 2012
3,377 posts
  •  
Badger
Grep: no, not yet, couldn't see how to get it without subscribing!
Island: totally agree. My worry is that strava through no fault of its own really is going to end up in trouble because of idiot moves by cyclists when they're competing on segments they've constructed themselves with no thought to the risks to themselves or others.

I hate this sue-for-everything attitude. People complain about 'health and safety gone mad', but the fact is that when fun things get banned on H&S grounds, it's generally because people have taken a hard look at them and decided that they are too vulnerable to lawsuits if something goes wrong (conkers in school playgrounds being a prime example). There is, though, a big separation in my mind between kids playing conkers for fun and people cycling/driving well above the speed limit - that is to say, if Bucchere's victim had been disabled rather than killed, I think a lawsuit against Bucchere would have been completely in order. Stating the obvious, trying to say there's nothing wrong with lawsuits but a line has to be drawn where they are too trivial to be tolerated, and it isn't.
Jun 2012
9:45pm, 23 Jun 2012
60,958 posts
  •  
GregP
Badgo - fmail me an email address and I'll send you a copy.

We can no longer replace light bulbs in the chancel at St Giles by making a pyramid of three step ladders. This is probably a good thing caused by health and safety awareness. And I agree with Island. I often do.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A sort of 'Why FetchEveryone is better than STRAVA' wire.
----

Last Sunday I cycled to church.

My Fetch log, which I trust beyond all possibility of doubt, tells me this:

17.07 miles, 1h19m46s, max speed 30.3mph

Garmin Connect, which one assumes is closest to the raw data, tells me this:

17.07 miles, 1h19m46s, max speec 30.3mph

This makes me very happy.

Now, gentle Fetchies, you may have seen or read or experienced strava recently, and been tempted, as I was, to 'dabble' and see whether it might be fun. strava taking data from the same source (my Garmin EDGE 800) tells me this.

17.1 miles, 1h20m48s, max speed 31.9mph

Interesting, eh?