Liverpool Marathon 2014

14 watchers
May 2014
3:49pm, 26 May 2014
147 posts
  •  
andydgg
loved it,,,,one of the best...as the fella from the farm said...'you did liverpool proud', 'all together now'...I think this'll be big next year, only thing that puts me off is that it's in June and it might be a bit hot all the way round instead of the last couple of miles...and by f**k I pb'd
May 2014
4:02pm, 26 May 2014
10,530 posts
  •  
mulbs
well done andydog :-) wish I could say the same!

Hope you're feeling better jono - if I had woken up on Sunday feeling like I did today I don't know how far I'd have got
May 2014
4:29pm, 26 May 2014
15,483 posts
  •  
*jono*
Still feel like crap - I now have the benefit of feeling like it in work.

Well done on your PB andy - but I'm not impressed by the numbers, given they are the all singing and dancing marathon organisers - still think its a crying shame that Alan Rothwell wasn't given the same support by the council, IMO the city have gone backwards in attempting to establish a major running event.
May 2014
5:09pm, 26 May 2014
10,531 posts
  •  
mulbs
am amazed my pics look like I was having a ball!

marathonfoto.com
May 2014
6:47pm, 26 May 2014
15,484 posts
  •  
*jono*
:)
May 2014
10:39am, 27 May 2014
195 posts
  •  
Wirral Dave
I had quite low expectations of the race, and only entered due to wanting to do a marathon in my home county, but was impressed by the organisation. I'd expected to see a musical event with running as an afterthought, but it turned out to be a good course, well-organised and with the music as a side distraction (which seemed to be ignored by the public). I expected the first half to be uninspiring and just a way of shoe-horning the soccerball stadiums in, but it was actually a nice route.

I agree entirely that the council paying an extra £20 per runner is madness, but at least it was a good event. Hopefully if it's marketed properly next year it might get the amount of runners it should.

The only issue with it for me is that time seems to be 3 minutes down. My watch says 4:17, my official time is 4:20. Every split on the website is exactly 3 minutes down on what my watch says, so it seems to think I crossed the start line early. Hopefully they'll be able to sort that out.

I was hoping for sub-4 but thought sub 4:15 was more realistic. It was all going well for 4:07 at the 23 mile marker, then all went seriously wrong for the last 3 miles. I did think I was a bit light on mileage and I think that showed at the end.
May 2014
10:58am, 27 May 2014
1,382 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Well done everyone. Unfortunately I had to pull out due to an injury last month. Hoping to enter next year though.
May 2014
12:35pm, 27 May 2014
15,487 posts
  •  
*jono*
thanks for the feedback Dave - hope you recover soon PLB.
May 2014
3:45pm, 27 May 2014
2,039 posts
  •  
AdminLiz
"Rock'n'Roll" Marathon, ....not much rocking or rolling in my opinion.

Way over-hyped...start pens were chaos with anyone going anywhere they wanted.

Not a "bad" route, did enjoy some of the parks....the run down parts of Liverpool that I remember

when leaving 20 years ago are still run down. Could have included more iconic/historic areas.

Guessing the course organiser is a Blues/Everton supporter as hardly touched Anfield, but did see my old house

had been tarted up a bit before turning back into the park off Anfield Road.

Not a lot of support, which is hardly surprising when one of the security at the finish said he didn't even know about

the event until a call the day before!

Hopefully this will improve in the next two years events.

Didn't like the "long" 4 miles to the finish... reminded me too much of where I live now and seemed never ending with no

landmark that you could pick out to focus on.

Nice cold free beer at the end and an open air concert.

I usually know as soon as I finish an event if I would do it again, and I am in no rush to return to Liverpool.
May 2014
4:49pm, 27 May 2014
66 posts
  •  
afeitar
Yes I think the support could be improved along the route - I really struggled in the 2nd half. Felt like I could have just been on a normal training run at points cos I live around south Liverpool. I've ran the Liverpool half twice so I'm familiar with those final 3-4 miles and it never gets easier. I enjoyed the first half - perhaps because that was easier (haha!) and also new to me so it was easier to focus. I regularly run much of the 2nd half of the route and while to some this may be an advantage I'm beginning to find that I get bored too easily and struggle!

I also didn't see too many bands really, most of the band tents just had DJs playing which don't most large road marathons like that have? Not really 'rock & roll'. Maybe this will grow in coming years too though.

The organisation at the start and end I thought was quite good - nice to get to use proper toilets in the echo arena instead of the usual porta-loo dash before the start! I finished in 4.33.34 and I'm determined to go sub 4.30 but might try a fresh route instead, maybe Manchester or Chester.

About This Thread

Maintained by Foxy
The Liverpool marathon is back on Sunday 25th May 2014 (bank holiday weekend)

The medals will be...