Liverpool Marathon 2014

14 watchers
May 2014
12:01pm, 30 May 2014
345 posts
  •  
buzby123
I really enjoyed it, I was running round with someone else, we were towards the back, it felt a little lonely at times but its unfair for me to compare it to Manchester where I ran it to my own pace and in amongst it all more. I liked the course, the park seemed to go on forever but it was nice and peaceful and shaded from the sun. The biggest disappointment was the lack of bands, Rock and Roll with music every mile it really wasn't. They could have capitalised on the Cavern Club - Beatles Tribute band maybe? and the lonely drag along the waterfront should have been wall to wall music which may have encouraged the crowds to hang around too.
R4R
May 2014
12:19pm, 30 May 2014
2,333 posts
  •  
R4R
Not having done it I can't comment about the course, but I think the issue with music around the Cavern Club is to do with the very few city centre residents who object to the noise.
I know Alan of BTRLiverpool has annual objections from one particular resident objecting to the Samba band at the Santa Dash
May 2014
12:21pm, 30 May 2014
15,518 posts
  •  
*jono*
or the councilor that lived on the waterfront - Liverpool Half Marathon
May 2014
12:46pm, 30 May 2014
10,565 posts
  •  
mulbs
I thought the course was fine, the music stops were reasonably frequent although a fair few of them were dj booths. The bands that were playing were ace and much appreciated, and I can't say how much the drummers and the powerbar guy who ran with us up St Domingo Street helped - both ace.

I just had a bad day at the office, but I was honestly quite shocked at how sparse it all was in terms of runners and support. And 50% of the marshals were unhelpful and disinterested - you shouldn't have to ask the way, it should either be obvious because that's where everyone else is going or it's well signed, or the marshals at that post should tell you with a cheery bit of encouragement.

It also seems a shame that Alan Rothwell and his team put so much in to running in Liverpool for years and didn't seem to get the same support or sponsorship - but what do I know?

I'm glad I did it, I wish I hadn't stuffed it up but I've only myself to blame for that one. If I lived closer I'd give it another shot next year but I think my family would start to grumble given it took over everyone's whole weekend.

Well done to those that had a great day, commiserations to those that didn't and extra commiserations to those that were on the naughty step/injured bench/in sick bay
May 2014
3:27pm, 30 May 2014
151 posts
  •  
andydgg
I thought they could have at least cleared the bins from Mathew Street.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Foxy
The Liverpool marathon is back on Sunday 25th May 2014 (bank holiday weekend)

The medals will be...