LIVE Eurovision chat thread!

30 watchers
May 2022
9:28pm, 23 May 2022
16,620 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
It should not be considered unusual by the EBU that a small country with a population little bigger than a rural English market town gave 12 points to the only other country with which it shares a language.

But is that the only metric they are looking at? Did every member of the jury have the identical top 10? And the same for the semi-final?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but there could well be more nuance than "you can't give that country 12 points".
May 2022
8:18am, 24 May 2022
21,996 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm sure it's not. I believe that the issues has been one of vote-trading between the nations concerned, so it's probably lower down the scores that we need to look.

I just think that its equally iffy that when this came to light, some sort of algorithm decided that Romania shouldn't give its 12 points to Moldova, but would definitely have gone all-in on the UK instead, and likewise the Sammarinese jury wouldn't have given 12 to Italy, but would more likely have voted for Spain - especially when both Moldova and Italy's songs did earn 12 points from other juries in their own right. And especially when the number of 12s awarded is part of the tie-break criteria.

I understand the need for transparency and probity in the jury voting system (as that's the more easily "fixed") but basically this smacks of the EBU deciding what songs it liked best.

Especially when, on the night, they just proceeded as if there was a satellite downlink error and there was nothing to see here.
May 2022
9:25am, 25 May 2022
86,984 posts
  •  
swittle
Light hearted examination of impact of algorithm on 2022 Eurovision voting. Even Gen. Franco is name checked! :-o

BBC R4 today. bbc.co.uk
May 2022
11:07am, 25 May 2022
2,399 posts
  •  
TnoP
Little Bear got into Eurovision for the first time - having watched the final over the last couple of afternoons, he's now watching the semis! The hosting was rubbish but I thought it was supposed to be awful? Has there ever been hosting that wasn't a combination of Psycho and death by cheese?! PS The under-13s in the house are all devastated that BananaWolf didn't win...

Agree about the general hosting - apart from the fantastic Petre and Mans from Sweden who are legends. Who can top "Love, love, peace, peace?"
Jun 2022
12:04pm, 17 Jun 2022
22,021 posts
  •  
DeeGee
BBC to host next year:

twitter.com
Jun 2022
12:38pm, 17 Jun 2022
13,923 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
This is exciting news. May try and get tickets!
Jun 2022
12:51pm, 17 Jun 2022
22,022 posts
  •  
DeeGee
It's not a done deal yet. BBC and EBU will talk about it.

I think we probably all saw it coming, the BBC is the traditional broadcaster of last resort.

Now, where in the UK? Wales hasn't had one yet...
Jun 2022
1:01pm, 17 Jun 2022
27,477 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Govt has just announced that all EU countries are barred from entry.
Jun 2022
1:02pm, 17 Jun 2022
27,478 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
France is double-barred.
Jun 2022
1:06pm, 17 Jun 2022
45,588 posts
  •  
DocM
talk of it being ovo hydro centre in Glasgow

About This Thread

Maintained by Jock Itch
Peanuts or popcorn ? Hmmmmmm.....I'm makin my mindddd uppppp!