LIVE Eurovision chat thread!

30 watchers
May 2022
5:28pm, 18 May 2022
8,734 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Little Bear got into Eurovision for the first time - having watched the final over the last couple of afternoons, he's now watching the semis!

The hosting was rubbish but I thought it was supposed to be awful? Has there ever been hosting that wasn't a combination of Psycho and death by cheese?!

PS The under-13s in the house are all devastated that BananaWolf didn't win...
May 2022
5:32pm, 18 May 2022
258 posts
  •  
GetOutTheDoor
That was one of my favourites - and saying "give the wolf a banana" is an excellent test for folk who watched.......
May 2022
5:51pm, 18 May 2022
10,993 posts
  •  
Meeps
Nooooo, it's back in my head now banana
May 2022
6:31pm, 18 May 2022
16,613 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
I'd say the hosting is normally pretty poor - professional but oddly stilted.

This year they were atrocious, a real low. Even the commentators (both Graham - who was on fine form, and Rylan and Scott Mills - who were pretty annoying) noted how poorly their little chats were - attempted humour that fell flat and some truly bizarre vignettes. I also got the feeling there were production issues, as some of the cuts to hosts felt like they were filling time whilst they sorted the set/found the next act/etc.

However. I spoke to my mother yesterday who astonished me by not only having watched Eurovision (albeit on an hour delay so she could skip the hosts and songs she didn't like), but had a list of songs she had enjoyed.

I'd say I couldn't be prouder, but her list contained a distinct lack of Norwegian Wolfery, Serbian Handwashing, or that lovely Polish chap with the amazing voice...
May 2022
1:16pm, 19 May 2022
8,739 posts
  •  
Dooogs
I wonder if some of the later production issues were related to the judging controversies? (I think I read six of the juries - including the three that didn't appear on screen - had their votes edited by the EBU).

Did we ever find out where Laura disappeared to for the first half of the jury voting?
May 2022
1:49pm, 19 May 2022
21,985 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Yes, I was reading about that this morning.

She was feeling ill, apparently she suffers from low blood pressure when she's been working hard, recognised the symptoms, so was given permission by the producers to go and have a rest, so she did.

She's been feeling a bit ropey this week, she had a concert coming up this Saturday so just took a Covid test as a precaution.

Positive.
May 2022
1:52pm, 19 May 2022
21,986 posts
  •  
DeeGee
twitter.com

twitter.com
May 2022
2:18pm, 19 May 2022
21,987 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Even the commentators (both Graham - who was on fine form, and Rylan and Scott Mills - who were pretty annoying) noted how poorly their little chats were - attempted humour that fell flat and some truly bizarre vignettes. I also got the feeling there were production issues, as some of the cuts to hosts felt like they were filling time whilst they sorted the set/found the next act/etc.

I get the impression that most of those little "cut to presenter" vignettes are only intended for television viewers with broadcasters who don't fund their programming via advertising.

Basically, they only do them for the UK audience, so they maybe don't put the effort into them that they might.
May 2022
6:47am, 20 May 2022
16,615 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
Certainly there are those natural breaks where they had a bit of an attempted skit etc, but there were a number of times both in the semis and the final where there was an awkward pause - not long enough to be an ad break, but long enough to be noticed.

I'd read about the voting issues, apparently certain juries had agreed to vote for one another, apparently. I said to my friends on the night that Martin Österdahl was looking particularly furious each time they cut to him...
May 2022
6:49am, 20 May 2022
69,909 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I think they’d also agreed to vote for Great Britain to get us all excited, knowing the public vote would give it to Ukraine, whatever.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jock Itch
Peanuts or popcorn ? Hmmmmmm.....I'm makin my mindddd uppppp!