LIVE Eurovision chat thread!

30 watchers
May 2023
2:04pm, 15 May 2023
22,572 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Good to see that Quora is still absolutely useless as a research tool.

Even Katrina's best known song isn't "Love Shine a Light".
May 2023
2:07pm, 15 May 2023
97,166 posts
  •  
swittle
^ 'Walking On Sunshine' ?
May 2023
2:12pm, 15 May 2023
42,604 posts
  •  
Night-owl
In my defence I didn't look at Quora I try to avoid it was the link above iy 🤣
May 2023
2:12pm, 15 May 2023
22,573 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'd say so, yes. It's been in TV shows and everything.
May 2023
2:55pm, 15 May 2023
7,058 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I’m sure you can have famous acts (plenty other countries have), it’s just that it can’t be a song that’s already been released?

Mind I can see why a famous act wouldn’t want to do Eurovision for the UK…
May 2023
3:04pm, 15 May 2023
21,109 posts
  •  
larkim
Tangential to the "live" chat, listened to this over the weekend, part of Tim Harford's Cautionary Tales podcasts.

timharford.com

Some interesting snippets about how the professional gamblers win big on Eurovision, including factoring in the votes of the diaspora as they vote away from "home".

As for British entries - Sam Ryder was the exception I think, whatever his USP was it might be difficult to recreate that without ending up with an artist / song created by committee that does equally badly as Mae's did.

A well chosen song in a Celtic language could do quite well, potentially. Make the UK entry *not* in English and see how that confuses things!

Not an original idea by me though - it's referenced in one of these Allusionist podcast episodes on Eurovision
theallusionist.org
theallusionist.org
May 2023
6:52pm, 15 May 2023
433 posts
  •  
George Smiley
I hope no one is forgetting Engelbert Humperdinck, he was famous when he sang for UK, a decision I'm sure he regrets though.

Sam Ryder was also very famous on TikTok before Eurovision which may well have helped his vote.
May 2023
3:13pm, 16 May 2023
17,679 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
I did some digging into the statistics on this - there were a few televotes where Mae came in the 11th-15th range, so bubbling under and close to scoring points.

But she was pretty low in a lot of places, so they're going to need to work out how to appeal better to voters.

Worth remembering that it was the juries that scored Sam Ryder so heavily, he didn't fare as well in the public vote.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jock Itch
Peanuts or popcorn ? Hmmmmmm.....I'm makin my mindddd uppppp!