•  
fetcheveryone
They definitely exist.
Feb 2014
12:25pm, 12 Feb 2014
10,098 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
But to go back to my earlier point, on the race pages there is an opportunity to offer lifts to races. I've no idea whether that's well used, but it is a way that real benefit could be gained (and help save the planet).
Feb 2014
12:26pm, 12 Feb 2014
14,016 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Indeed.
Feb 2014
12:40pm, 12 Feb 2014
374 posts
  •  
Dodgem
I see your point ChrisHB but I believe even people in financial hardship should not be encouraged to accept/offer lifts to strangers they have met on the internet. I know how I would feel if my wife / daughter / dog said they were doing this.
Feb 2014
1:05pm, 12 Feb 2014
3,628 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Just to clarify what I meant a few pages back - when I said charity donation I didn't necessarily mean the RECIPIENT of the place should pay £25 to charity for it - more that they could set up a justgiving page and ask people they know to donate to a charity because they have been enabled to run in the race and I didn't mean it had to be £25 - that was just a figure off the top of my head. If 10 people they knew put £1 on the justgiving page (other charity fundraising sites exist) then their favourite charity would get a tenner.

It was suggested as a way of thanking the race place donor and/or Mr Fetch for making it possible and not meant in any other way. I do understand Santa's point (I'm the same about not asking people to sponsor me when I run with my friend's kids around the Race for Life - but if a place was given to me free then I know I could probably find a handful of people who would chuck a quid or two in for a charity if I asked them nicely)

But it's only a suggestion to encourage healthy debate - please don't anyone flounce account of it ;-)
Feb 2014
1:25pm, 12 Feb 2014
5,600 posts
  •  
*Anj*
Commenting on the initial suggestion for this, I think giving out places based on peoples financial situation would be very hard to manage....how would you define financial hardship and how would you ensure that people met that criteria? Copies of bank statements sent to fetch towers?

it will be very difficult to police this and I think it might be a better suggestion to perhaps do it is a lottery (ie. £1 per entry with the funds going to charity or somesuch). Only allowed to enter once, and then name drawn out of hat.

People can then pick and choose which races they want to enter the lottery for.
Feb 2014
1:30pm, 12 Feb 2014
14,017 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Sorry, but turning it into an actual lottery is beyond the scope of what I'm trying to do here.

I keep coming back to the bottom of page 5:

"rely on people being honest about nominating themselves
if they choose to be dishonest and wangle a race they could have paid for, they can sit back and think about wonderful they are"
Feb 2014
1:32pm, 12 Feb 2014
10,102 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
There is, or used to be, a warning about mad axe murderers alongside the chance to offer lifts.

I asked ogee for a lift once. He did me no harm, but I was rude enough to sleep in his car on the way home.
Feb 2014
1:32pm, 12 Feb 2014
70,096 posts
  •  
santababy
say aye

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
All being well, I've been able to get hold of some road race entries for various events around the UK that are happening throughout the year. My idea is to find a way to give them to some Fetchies in dire need of a bit of good fortune.

Before I go blundering into it, and offending anyone, or accidentally giving all the places to Siberian gangsters, I thought I'd see whether you lot had any opinions on how best to do it.

My guess is that we'll have maybe a couple of places at each of maybe 12-15 events.

I was thinking we could have a nomination button, like Member of the Month - but with the option for people to put their own names forward too. I hate the thought of anyone being embarrassed by it, or the thought that I'm some sort of overseer of who's most worthy etc... but really, I just want to give some free race places to some people who'd really benefit from it.

Any thoughts on how to do it folks?