Let's give austerity a hoof in the nuggets

8 watchers
Feb 2014
11:29am, 12 Feb 2014
1,429 posts
  •  
Nelly
Reading the thread title I thought Fetch's thoughts were related purely to financial hardship rather than other things, but having re-read his original post I am no longer convinced. However, I think as it has the potential to become of a can of worms, Fetch needs to define the criteria carefully.

For example, based purely on the thread title, I wouldn't have dreamt of applying for any of the places given we've just booked an overseas summer holiday (our first for six years), but if it's not purely austerity related I may (or may not) review my thoughts.
Feb 2014
11:35am, 12 Feb 2014
14,013 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The intention was to help those in financial hardship.
Feb 2014
11:40am, 12 Feb 2014
70,095 posts
  •  
santababy
something so simplistic suddenly becomes a nightmare :(
Feb 2014
11:41am, 12 Feb 2014
1,780 posts
  •  
FreshStart
I think that this has to be for people who are experiencing real financial hardship.

I guess defining financial hardship is going to be the tricky part.

If people can afford holidays, nice running kit, bikes, own their own home, are working etc are they really experiencing financial hardship?
Feb 2014
11:46am, 12 Feb 2014
14,014 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
As HB says on page 5:

"rely on people being honest about nominating themselves
if they choose to be dishonest and wangle a race they could have paid for, they can sit back and think about wonderful they are"
Feb 2014
11:49am, 12 Feb 2014
10,094 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I want to add to the debate that it's a bit difficult in this respect: if I'm in a position to be grateful for a free race entry, saving me maybe £10-£20, then I also wouldn't feel free to spend £5 or more on petrol/fares to get to the race. OK if the winner has a season ticket anyway.

It would be nice if lifts could be offered in a low-key way, but I don't see how that could be done. Anyway, not like this: Hey folks, Fetchie XXX is our lucky poverty-stricken winner this month, who can offer a lift from Y-ville to this race?
Feb 2014
11:58am, 12 Feb 2014
28,927 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Is ANYONE on here truly poverty-stricken? There have been instances of people twining on about not being able to afford shoes for the kids then the next thing you know they're all, "Squeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm going to do Comrades," or something like that. And I'll hold up my hand to being as guilty of it as anyone else.

(I know there are people who genuinely live on a very low income and need to count every penny. I suspect they're lying low on here and hope they'll stick their names down for the donated race places.)
.B.
Feb 2014
12:00pm, 12 Feb 2014
9,814 posts
  •  
.B.
i still think it's tricky basing it solely on financial need. Firstly i think it isn't clearly defined, and will be viewed differently by different people, so some people will be put off cos there are people worse off than them. secondly if we have a system where we say we have to trust people to be honest i think some people would be put off applying for fear that they will be accused of dishonesty if they e.g. post about going out for a meal, or something that suggests they are not as poverty stricken as others think they "should" be to have got the prize. i do think it's a great idea, I just think it has to be an open lottery and people can decide for themselves whether to apply and don't have to worry about whether they are poor enough to do so.
Feb 2014
12:18pm, 12 Feb 2014
373 posts
  •  
Dodgem
It's difficult to rely on people being honest about nominating themselves when there is no distinct criteria. It's too subjective.

It's a nice idea Fetch but a minefield to actually implement.
Feb 2014
12:23pm, 12 Feb 2014
10,097 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
If the free places exist, we'll just have to try it, and Fetch can be our collective conscience. Anything that goes wrong is going to be utterly trivial.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
All being well, I've been able to get hold of some road race entries for various events around the UK that are happening throughout the year. My idea is to find a way to give them to some Fetchies in dire need of a bit of good fortune.

Before I go blundering into it, and offending anyone, or accidentally giving all the places to Siberian gangsters, I thought I'd see whether you lot had any opinions on how best to do it.

My guess is that we'll have maybe a couple of places at each of maybe 12-15 events.

I was thinking we could have a nomination button, like Member of the Month - but with the option for people to put their own names forward too. I hate the thought of anyone being embarrassed by it, or the thought that I'm some sort of overseer of who's most worthy etc... but really, I just want to give some free race places to some people who'd really benefit from it.

Any thoughts on how to do it folks?