Let's give austerity a hoof in the nuggets

8 watchers
Feb 2014
9:14am, 12 Feb 2014
8,921 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Other clue could be if you'd need to book a flight and a hotel to go to it, you're also not in need.
Feb 2014
9:22am, 12 Feb 2014
70,092 posts
  •  
santababy
lols
Feb 2014
9:23am, 12 Feb 2014
10,650 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I think I can afford to enter most races and pay for my own travel and accommodation. How would you define hard up? Some folks consider themselves well off if they have money left at the end of the month whilst others are in debt and earn a lot more.
Feb 2014
9:29am, 12 Feb 2014
14,008 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
If you can't afford to enter most races I guess.
Feb 2014
10:04am, 12 Feb 2014
2,410 posts
  •  
ReturnoftheJuddi
Does it HAVE to be for those in financial need? What about people who are struggling with other things and might need a little boost?
Feb 2014
10:14am, 12 Feb 2014
70,093 posts
  •  
santababy
thats kinda what i was getting at, its nice to win something basically

i'd like to win, then give it away ;)
Feb 2014
10:23am, 12 Feb 2014
28,924 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
If it makes people feel more entitled to enter, I intend to put my name in for any races that I could and would actually do.

It's all relative, innit? Most folk wouldn't see me as being "in need", but I'm not in the same disposable-income league as people who can go jetting all over the world doing high profile running events. Which, in turn, could be because I make *other* lifestyle choices, but isn't it much the same for most people?
Feb 2014
10:49am, 12 Feb 2014
8,922 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
What about having to supply a valid JSA reference number?
Feb 2014
10:55am, 12 Feb 2014
2,411 posts
  •  
ReturnoftheJuddi
Yup definitely relative. I *could* afford more races and cost of travel/accomodation certainly impacts my decision to enter (or more likely not enter) the more scenic, off road races I want to try because I live in a part of the counrty where the rest of the country is a long way away, and I have a rather expensive event coming up this year! :) I wouldnt dare claim to be in financial need though because that would be horrendously unfair to people who really, genuinely are!

However, "in need" and "deserving" are two different things. As a fully active and encouraging member of this site I'd say you "deserve" any prize up for offer on this site V'rap.
Feb 2014
10:56am, 12 Feb 2014
28,926 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
My son could provide a valid JSA reference number but he has more money to spend on stuff like race entries than I do :-O

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
All being well, I've been able to get hold of some road race entries for various events around the UK that are happening throughout the year. My idea is to find a way to give them to some Fetchies in dire need of a bit of good fortune.

Before I go blundering into it, and offending anyone, or accidentally giving all the places to Siberian gangsters, I thought I'd see whether you lot had any opinions on how best to do it.

My guess is that we'll have maybe a couple of places at each of maybe 12-15 events.

I was thinking we could have a nomination button, like Member of the Month - but with the option for people to put their own names forward too. I hate the thought of anyone being embarrassed by it, or the thought that I'm some sort of overseer of who's most worthy etc... but really, I just want to give some free race places to some people who'd really benefit from it.

Any thoughts on how to do it folks?