santababy
here!
Feb 2014
8:47am, 12 Feb 2014
70,089 posts
  •  
santababy
agree Keefsterboy

Baroness, i couldnt possible ask for sponsorship, i havent even for my whwrace, i just wouldnt/couldnt.

I did it for fling and havent since, and i'd be reluctant to sponsor anyone who i know can breeze it.
Feb 2014
8:50am, 12 Feb 2014
14,006 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Regarding travel, I'm planning on putting a list of the races up - and therefore those that are hoping for a place can decide before submitting their names as to whether they can afford to get there etc.

As for the winner making a donation... I had it in mind that these would be folks who might be in need of a bit of a break, financially, so I'm not sure how giving them a free race place, then asking them to pay a similar amount to charity would work.

Duchess - if the person is willing to blog etc about the race, that would be great, but it involves having to out oneself publicly as having financial problems, so it might be off-putting. Although if they just blogged about the race, but not about where they got the entry, that would work.
Feb 2014
8:51am, 12 Feb 2014
70,090 posts
  •  
santababy
ps, i wont be throwing my name in hat for any races, as much as its nice to get free stuff i can afford to pay.
Feb 2014
8:52am, 12 Feb 2014
70,091 posts
  •  
santababy
wouldve came in handy about 6 years ago though

;)
Feb 2014
8:57am, 12 Feb 2014
8,919 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I defo think if the winner refuses for whatever reason, you show draw again, not allow the refuser to give the number away.
Feb 2014
8:59am, 12 Feb 2014
8,920 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Yep, hopefully there is some common sense and honesty amongst the Fetch community and you only put your name is a) you're skint, b) you're free on that day and c) you can travel there easily.
Feb 2014
9:10am, 12 Feb 2014
2,274 posts
  •  
Curly45
I love this idea, back in the old parkrun day I got a few free race entries through them, for races I would never do normally as too pricey and it was brilliant.

Open lottery is the best way of self selection Imo.
Feb 2014
9:14am, 12 Feb 2014
16,884 posts
  •  
HellsBells
open lottery is the only way to do it
rely on people being honest about nominating themselves
if they choose to be dishonest and wangle a race they could have paid for, they can sit back and think about wonderful they are

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
All being well, I've been able to get hold of some road race entries for various events around the UK that are happening throughout the year. My idea is to find a way to give them to some Fetchies in dire need of a bit of good fortune.

Before I go blundering into it, and offending anyone, or accidentally giving all the places to Siberian gangsters, I thought I'd see whether you lot had any opinions on how best to do it.

My guess is that we'll have maybe a couple of places at each of maybe 12-15 events.

I was thinking we could have a nomination button, like Member of the Month - but with the option for people to put their own names forward too. I hate the thought of anyone being embarrassed by it, or the thought that I'm some sort of overseer of who's most worthy etc... but really, I just want to give some free race places to some people who'd really benefit from it.

Any thoughts on how to do it folks?