Legs heavy and tired

1 watcher
May 2013
8:24pm, 25 May 2013
385 posts
  •  
officebased
Hi
Its 6 weeks since I ran a marathon, my legs still feel heavy, aching all the time, struggle to run more than

3 miles at the moment before my legs feel like running in cement. I have run marathon s before, never had this problem before, sports massage has not worked and I am only doing 5 miles if that a week at moment, does anybody have some suggestions on what is wrong and how I recover.

Thanks
Andy
May 2013
8:25pm, 25 May 2013
23,753 posts
  •  
swittle
Might be worth a chat with your GP.
May 2013
8:39pm, 25 May 2013
3,900 posts
  •  
Cuddy
Unfortunately no real advice what to do. I had a very similar feeling after my second marathon and it did last a solid 3 months, felt like all energy had been zapped. I simply kept cross training through it and not trying to push any running.
May 2013
8:39pm, 25 May 2013
3,901 posts
  •  
Cuddy
Unfortunately no real advice what to do. I had a very similar feeling after my second marathon and it did last a solid 3 months, felt like all energy had been zapped. I simply kept cross training through it and not trying to push any running.
May 2013
8:58am, 26 May 2013
132 posts
  •  
Phil70
I'd be interested to see what people think as well. I ran three marathons in April and have tended to get tired legs ever since after 11 miles or so. Willpower has helped me push through for another 4-6 miles but I can normally do a half-marathon without breaking sweat.
May 2013
4:59pm, 26 May 2013
92 posts
  •  
brandstifterin
Sometimes when I feel the effects of too much mileage (with probably not enough rest), I find that multivitamin tablets help, don't cure anything but they make a noticeable difference to me. Might be worth a try?

But probably a good shout to get yourself to the GP :-)
May 2013
5:03pm, 26 May 2013
10,375 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Running friend went to GP with same problem of being tired all the time to find she was anaemic and now on iron tablets.
May 2013
10:54pm, 31 May 2013
1,130 posts
  •  
susietwoshoes
I was about to ask the same question, legs feel heavy and tired, struggling to run any distance without having to stop and stretch. I also seem to be getting tired and getting pins and needles a lot, OH suggested that it may be poor circulation. Don't really want to go to Doctor, does anyone know of any exercises, herbal remedies etc.
Jun 2013
8:29pm, 3 Jun 2013
387 posts
  •  
officebased
Susie, I went to the docs in the end, poked and prodded now awaiting blood tests. I ddi also change my sports massage person who helped me a little , got some new trainers. taking Mineral tablets So If I was you susie I would pay a visit to the docs, take some pills and see how you get on. My legs are still heavy but running a bit further
Jun 2013
9:48pm, 3 Jun 2013
1,131 posts
  •  
susietwoshoes
Yes I think that's a plan. Not as tired this week. Funnily enough a friend has the same symptoms, wondering if it's an age thing.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by officebased
Hi
Its 6 weeks since I ran a marathon, my legs still feel heavy, aching all the time, struggle to...