Leg Pain :(

1 watcher
Jan 2014
8:10am, 18 Jan 2014
7 posts
  •  
somersetslob
I'd really appreciate some advice please. I've only just started running (I'm doing the couch to 5k programme, so I'm very much at the jog/walk stage) and during my last two sessions, have experienced bad leg pain. Last night, when I got home, the pain was so bad I couldn't stand and was in tears - and this is someone who didn't complain once during childbirth, so that might give you an idea about how bad it was!

The pain is mostly along the inner front line of my lower leg, and particularly sore at the bottom, but now also feels like it's travelling up into my knees - a constant tight pain. It receded after about half an hour and then felt fine, but today I have pain walking down stairs.

I've been following the programme religiously and making sure I wear proper running shoes (have had my gait analysed and bought decent ones), and ensuring I'm leaving rest days. I'm just really disheartened now as I was hoping it was a one off, but after last night's session that's obviously not the case.

What do I need to do in terms of rest? I feel like I've hardly even started the programme and now I have to stop and go back to square one - even worse than square one, as I'm in pain and can't do anything.

Please help a very sad new runner :(
Jan 2014
8:16am, 18 Jan 2014
1,349 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
Certainly don't run while you've got that pain. If you can walk pain-free, substitute brisk walking for your sessions. Hopefully someone will be along who can suggest what your pain might be - my first thought was shin splints, but I'm not at all sure. Maybe see a sports physio. And don't panic :)
Jan 2014
8:29am, 18 Jan 2014
27,509 posts
  •  
swittle
Rest until you're pain free. Then build up very slowly.
Jan 2014
8:57am, 18 Jan 2014
8 posts
  •  
somersetslob
Ok, thanks folks. Very depressing, but needs must. Bang goes my plan! Stupid legs.
Jan 2014
9:02am, 18 Jan 2014
27,513 posts
  •  
swittle
Not cramp then? This costs nothing: immerse the painful limb alternately in very warm - not hot - and cold water. 5 minutes at each temperature. 4 reps to start with. Then elevate your leg on a soft-topped stool or a side table with a cushion.

Don't despair: many new to running deal with similar niggles as part of developing the hardiness that helps to build endurance on the run. Post to tell how you're getting on. :)
Jan 2014
9:19am, 18 Jan 2014
3,891 posts
  •  
Jon_T
Does sound a bit like shin splints, swittles advice is about the best that isn't going to cost money with physics etc, do this for a few day and see how you feel.

We all get injuries and niggles at some stage, just part of being the supreme athletes we all are :-)
Jan 2014
9:24am, 18 Jan 2014
820 posts
  •  
Craig_
Also, when you start again - maybe avoid the harder surfaces (pavements etc.) and stick to grass or woodland paths - these are much springier underfoot and more forgiving on the legs. :)
Jan 2014
9:29am, 18 Jan 2014
16,755 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Does sound like shin splints. Are your shoes lace too tightly? Just loosening the laces can help, as can lacing them the wrong way, with the bow towards your toes rather than you ankle can make a big difference
Jan 2014
11:34am, 18 Jan 2014
9 posts
  •  
somersetslob
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely not cramp unfortunately. I think my first run I did lace my shoes too tightly and felt the tension on my shin, but after the first one, I wear them on the looser side now.

I'll also try the warm/cold immersion if I can find two big enough containers! This is when I need two baths, side by side :)

I'm now trying to get my head around how to lace my shoes with the bow towards my toes, without putting my hands on backwards! Doh :)
Jan 2014
12:06pm, 18 Jan 2014
8,149 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Also think it sounds like shin splints. I wouldn't suggest giving your money to a physio just yet. Even though you are walk/running, maybe the "run part is being done a little too enthusiastically. Shin splints are a type of inflammation so basically you just need to give it time and then not aggravate them again. Also good advice there to run on softer ground if you can for a bit. They will clear up - at least you are getting used to the idea of pain early on ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I'd really appreciate some advice please. I've only just started running (I'm doing the couch to ...