Leg pain - advice needed!

1 watcher
Apr 2013
9:00am, 24 Apr 2013
325 posts
  •  
Roma
I'll try to keep this fairly short!! The problem started with a massage 5 weeks ago, 6 lumps of lactic acid were released on a muscle in my right lower calf by the sports therapist. This muscle still hurts. A week later following a stomach bug I was in agony, sports therapist diagnosed blocked lymph nodes leading to a build up of lactic acid in the leg. This has now gone. What I have now is aching in the whole of my right leg, with sometimes sharp pain in my groin and inner ankle. Have been to the doctor who initially diagnosed shin splints (based on the calf pain) and sent me for an x-ray, which was clear. I have a physio appointment next week, but I don't believe that the problem is muscular. Is it possible to have some sort of infection, or could it be a vascular problem?
Apr 2013
1:17pm, 24 Apr 2013
15,867 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Infection would have probably killed you by now, unless it was a very indolent kind of bone infection, which is both extreely rare and ruled out by xray..

Lactic acid is not, under any circumstances carried in the lymph and does not form lumps in the muscle. If your lymph nodes were blocked, your leg would swell up. I would take any further advice from this practioner of the dark arts with a pinch of salt.

Could still be shin splints, I dont know for certain, but I am pretty sure x-ray doesn't exclude it.

Vascular would casuse pain on exercise that was relieved by resting.
Apr 2013
1:43pm, 24 Apr 2013
1,135 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Echo what JohnnyO said ( although I have no medical training ) Lymph does not form lumps in muscle - the lumps would be more likely to be knots ( I get a lovely one in my left calf and it can hurt llike a bitch ). Don't know what the other symptons could be but I wold deffo get another opinion. Hope you get it sorted.
Apr 2013
2:40pm, 24 Apr 2013
327 posts
  •  
Roma
Thanks JohnnyO and wiener dog. Maybe I got my lumps and my knots confused, but there were defo 6 of them on the muscle (I shall now call them knots). Blocked lymph nodes were definitely mentioned!

I don't seem to fit the normal profile for a shin splint victim but will rest until I see the physio next week.
Apr 2013
2:45pm, 24 Apr 2013
15,878 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
A build up of lactic acid can cause cramps, which can lead to damage and knots. It's not impossible that the therapist was just trying to explain things in simple language and things got confused.

Still think its most likely to be muscular though.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Roma
I'll try to keep this fairly short!! The problem started with a massage 5 weeks ago, 6 lumps of la...