Left knee pain

1 watcher
TW
Mar 2012
10:41am, 5 Mar 2012
665 posts
  •  
TW
Picked up a knee problem in last few days, and will go to physio if it continues, but just thought I\\\'d see what the general consensus of opinion is..

No specific knock or bang, just got more and more sore over last couple of runs, set out for a long one Saturday, painful from first step..stupidly carried on to do 11 miles..hobbling badly for the last 4.....The pain is around the front of the knee, just below the kneecap. No obvious sign of swelling, and nothing is tender to touch. No pain at all in a neutral position, but specific pain when bending the leg. Specific actions hurt the most...pushing the clutch in the car for example..I wince every time. Walking downstairs is more painful than walking upstairs...and generally hobbling around.

Taking Ibuprofen, and won\\\'t be running this week.

Thoughts, opinions?

Cheers
TW
Mar 2012
10:43am, 5 Mar 2012
72 posts
  •  
RobertoM
Sounds very similar to the pain in my knee at the moment. Hurts to bend but otherwise is ok. Im putting mine down to overuse and just having a few days off.
Mar 2012
10:44am, 5 Mar 2012
741 posts
  •  
Mark J
TW: Without wishing to be the prophet of doom. My meniscus tear started like this. Pushed it too hard and didn't listen to my body. Ended up being out nearly a year in the end. I'd rest up in the first instance and seek professional advise before pushing on any further.
TW
Mar 2012
4:30pm, 6 Mar 2012
666 posts
  •  
TW
A couple of days of no running, ibuprofen and ice and it is feeling better....not quite there yet.

I am sure over this coming weekend, having 4 days hard skiing with my mates, is not the best timing, but it has to be done....I can rest later...oh, no I cant, I have a marathon to train for!!
Mar 2012
4:33pm, 6 Mar 2012
79 posts
  •  
RobertoM
Ive had mine checked out today, been told that its soft tissue and I need to rest it for at least 5 days and take ibuprofen as well as putting either ice or heat on it. Im including the two days ive already rested in that so that I can hopefully run on Sunday and not waste 20 quid on my race entry. My body needed some time off anyway.
TW
Mar 2012
4:35pm, 6 Mar 2012
667 posts
  •  
TW
I have ramped up my mileage ahead of Manchester Marathon, so I suspect it is just an overuse injury...no running this week...hopefully survive skiing intact, then get back to it next week.
Mar 2012
5:55pm, 6 Mar 2012
80 posts
  •  
RobertoM
Thats what id done, jumped to 45 mile weeks in prep for manchester. Hopefully get back into it next week. Have fun skiing
Mar 2012
6:53pm, 6 Mar 2012
11,905 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
ITB?
I would just rest and take the anti inflammatories.
Go and see a physio if you have £40 to spare and want a more technical name for your injury. :)
TW
Mar 2012
10:22am, 16 Mar 2012
668 posts
  •  
TW
After no running for close to 2 weeks, and no soreness (and weekend skiing with no problem), ran 5k this week, and pain is back, not as bad, but definitely back. So, off to physio today, just to see if more rest is the answer, or if any treatment is needed.

My Manchester Marathon plans are in serious jeoprady...may need to reset goals, or just can it.

TW
Mar 2012
11:32am, 16 Mar 2012
102 posts
  •  
RobertoM
Im sorry to hear that TW, if skiing didnt hurt, try some cycling or soemthing that doesnt have the same impact? It would help keep yuor fitness up. Ive already deferred my Manchester place due to my knee, I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but today is the last day for deferrals. I have run 4 miles and played a game of hockey in the last 2 weeks and thats all, both were very painful afterwards. Its so frustrating.

About This Thread

Maintained by TW
Picked up a knee problem in last few days, and will go to physio if it continues, but just thought I...