Left knee pain

1 watcher
TW
Mar 2012
1:26pm, 16 Mar 2012
669 posts
  •  
TW
Good visit to physio..I have strained my quad tendons. Tendons linking the bottom quad muscle to just below the kneecap. Most likely due to the muscle at the bottom of the quad being weakened due to the battering my thighs took to get myself a new Half Marathon pb a few weeks ago. Skiing was fine, as it does not involve full leg extension, which is where that muscle kicks in, whereas as the push off when running, does.

5 days of ibuprofen to try and get the inflammation down, some ultrasound and electric pulse treatment from the physio, some specific stretch and strength exercises, maybe some cycling, and all being well, back to it in a week or so. I was very happy to get a specific diagnosis, reason and treatment...rather than the usual "just need to rest".

The Marathon should still be on, but maybe reset my target time.

Bad news on your knee Roberto, I had seen the updates on the Manchester Marathon thread and had spotted the deferral date.

TW
Mar 2012
2:21pm, 16 Mar 2012
105 posts
  •  
RobertoM
Glad to hear it and that you can now get back into it and know what needs to be done. I hope Manchester goes well for you, even if you have to alter your targets for it. Good luck.
Mar 2012
2:34pm, 16 Mar 2012
20,967 posts
  •  
cabletow
You have your answer

a) only happens when you run - So it must be running that causes it
b) it is a full extension injury

Therefore combining a and b - you run with your leg in full extendion. So you are hitting the ground (this is why running hurts because you insist on doing it on the ground) with a straight leg

Stop doing that and your knee will get better

OK before you say I am being facetious - Look at photos of good runners - You will see that almost invariably they hit the ground with a bent knee (foot under neath them) - Now look at photos of not so good runners and you will see they hit the ground with a Straight knee (foot out in front of them knee straight)

Hopefully then you will realise something

It is not running that is bad for you - It is running badly that is
Mar 2012
2:37pm, 16 Mar 2012
12,080 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Short strides. Best advice I ever received.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by TW
Picked up a knee problem in last few days, and will go to physio if it continues, but just thought I...