Leeds and Sheffield Courses

1 watcher
Dec 2012
8:43pm, 15 Dec 2012
First-time poster!!
  •  
Terry55
Next year I have entered the Leeds Half Marathon and am also considering the Sheffield 10k. Can anyone give advise about the routes for these two. This will be my first HM and I was wondering if the route was very undulating (hilly). The same question applies to the Sheffield 10k.

Thanks for any help with this.
Terry
Dec 2012
8:47pm, 15 Dec 2012
3,988 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Welcome to fetch!

The Leeds Half is quite undulating. Most of the first half is uphill - you drop out of the city centre, then you've got a flat couple of miles, then the longest hill of the course up Stonegate Road. You then drop down around the ring road, before climbing up to Lawnswood Roundabout. The advantage is that this is the highest bit of the course, and the second half is all flat or downhill, except for the very last bit of the course where you have to head up the slip road off Kirkstall Rd and onto the Headrow up to the finish.

Not sure about the Sheffield 10k, never done that one.
Dec 2012
8:53pm, 15 Dec 2012
4,565 posts
  •  
Sombrero-ho-ho
Hi Terry,

Runners World have a few reviews of the Sheffield 10K: runnersworld.co.uk

There's loads of other races in the area that are tonnes cheaper, and probably better organised but depends on what you're looking for in a race.

Welcome to fetch!
Dec 2012
9:34pm, 15 Dec 2012
106 posts
  •  
runningowl
if your talking about the Great Yorkshire RIP off then its a quick downhill 5.5miles of flattish running before 1/2 mile of steep climbing broken up by a slight flat break. its the last bit thats a killer. oh and the £30 entry fee
Dec 2012
6:45pm, 16 Dec 2012
2 posts
  •  
Terry55
Thanks for all your thoughts. My race calender is not set in stone yet but I am committed to the Wakefield Hospice 10k in April , the Jane Tomlinson HM in May and the Jane Tomlinson 10K in July. I am looking to do a 10k in September, a HM in October and I will be doing the Leeds Abbey dash in November. Any further advise on a September 10k or an October HM would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dec 2012
6:52pm, 16 Dec 2012
14,424 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Theres Leeds --->http://www.fetcheveryone.com/routes-view.php?id=473926
As Fozzy says, its uphill to about 4.5 then down.
The little divot in the corse around mile 7 seems different each time, but it probably isn't.

I wouldn't call it hilly, but it is lumpy enough to ruin PB hopes for many.
Dec 2012
7:19pm, 16 Dec 2012
6,744 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Worksop at the end of october is a great HM. It is fairly undulating but all through clumber park and brilliantly organised.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Terry55
Next year I have entered the Leeds Half Marathon and am also considering the Sheffield 10k. Can anyo...