Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Leeds Abbey Dash 2012

3 watchers
Nov 2012
1:02pm, 21 Nov 2012
764 posts
MudMeanderer
Fozzy: The few times I've done it, it was the section on the sliproad from the Headrow to by Yorkshire Post that was the bottleneck, so I'm not sure making the start any wider would help with this, unless I've misunderstood your suggestion.

If it is to be any bigger, I'd have thought penning would become pretty much essential, or it may lose the appeal of being quick if you're weaving around all the way to the viaduct.
Nov 2012
1:16pm, 21 Nov 2012
3885 posts
rf_fozzy
MM - what I was thinking is that you have the RHS of the Headrow go out and down the slip road that you go up and the LHS stays as it is. You come back together outside the firestation (at about 1km), as it should have spread out a bit by then?

Yes, one start would need to be offset slightly, and it would need more barriers to prevent runners crossing from one side of road to the other, but it's roughly the same I'd have thought in terms of running.

Should halve the time it takes the clear the start = more people getting the start they want and therefore less issues with people pushing too far forwards.

At least that was my idea.
Nov 2012
1:20pm, 21 Nov 2012
48058 posts
Puddington
If it gets bigger, I'm done with it. Grumpy, what? :-)
Nov 2012
1:21pm, 21 Nov 2012
11366 posts
Meglet
Good idea, it took over 10 minutes to cross the start. Which is a bit disheartening when you get to the viaduct at 2km and see the leaders coming back already!

Proper segregated pens should be used, no point having colour coded numbers if there's no way of enforcing.

The finish needs refining, too crowded, too slow. More people on baggage would have helped, at most races I don't need to queue to get bags (though usually I leave stuff in the car, this time I used baggage)

I like the race in general and will still return.
Nov 2012
1:22pm, 21 Nov 2012
11367 posts
Meglet
And thanks v much to Carlos who has sent me his small tshirt, which still looks quite big! Will try it properly later.
Nov 2012
1:29pm, 21 Nov 2012
48059 posts
Puddington
I would have thought the Jane Tomlinson one would have reduced the number doing the Abbey Dash. Ten thousand people or whatevs. doing a city centre 10k is bonkers.
Nov 2012
1:38pm, 21 Nov 2012
1899 posts
Northern Exile
Solidarity w/ Pudds. I was already done with it - the repeated exhortations from Age UK to give them more money just firmed my resolve. Bonkers.
Nov 2012
1:44pm, 21 Nov 2012
2717 posts
Doctor K
Bloody hell the only time I've done this race there were about a thousand and that was busy enough -they're obviously rippin it.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by mjoyeux
Has anyone had their race numbers for the run?

Where's the best car parking spot?

I\'m goin...