Lakeland 50 and 100 in 2015

37 watchers
Jul 2015
10:38pm, 27 Jul 2015
1,793 posts
  •  
IanS
Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and (almost) every minute of the run :-)

Nice to see huge amounts of respect from the 50 runners towards all the 100 runners, but also vice versa
Jul 2015
12:19am, 28 Jul 2015
16,008 posts
  •  
flanker
Definitely second that Ian. The support from the 50ers, initially as they passed and later running alongside, was immense. Even the first few blokes who were racing hard made time to acknowledge us. Quite humbling.
Jul 2015
12:28am, 28 Jul 2015
330 posts
  •  
notpete
Agree, flanker - 2nd and 3rd were racing down neck and neck from the Coppermines when they passed me but still thought to encourage me rather than focusing sorely on what looked like quite a serious race for 2nd. Jayson offered me congratulations in the hall afterwards too.

Wonder what happened to Ben Abdelnoor and Marcus Scotney.
Jul 2015
12:32am, 28 Jul 2015
331 posts
  •  
notpete
Great running from Carol Morgan for 1st lady, too. We ran close between Mardale Head or so and Ambleside, when she disappeared off while I faffed round with shoes. Really happy to see her at the finish, looking comfortable despite the miles.
Jul 2015
8:32am, 28 Jul 2015
1,796 posts
  •  
IanS
As a first timer at the weekend, maybe one of the old hands can answer this - what was the point of the 50 runners getting weighed?
I totally understand the reason for the 100 runners having their weight monitored, but I didn't see scales at any of the checkpoints (although granted I wasn't poking around) and I didn't see anyone getting weighed at the finish.
Is it just a general principle that the all the runners in both races get treated the same?
Jul 2015
8:58am, 28 Jul 2015
16,940 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I'm not exactly certain of the history of the event, but in my mind it's a 100+ mile tour of the Lake District, inspired very much by the UTMB. In the same way say Edinburgh marathon do various options where people do parts of the course or relays there's a "half" version of the 100, but the main event is the long run. I sometimes (well always ;-) call the 50 the fun run. This is an in-joke because a pal of mine used the expression for a 100 K in the Alps a few years ago. Presumably the 50 (I haven't don't it) is run under broadly the same rules as the 100 (one attempt. DNF at 76 miles) hence the weigh-in. There were people walking the 50 in around 24 hours when I tried the 100; the weigh-in isn't unreasonable especially in a hot year
Jul 2015
9:23am, 28 Jul 2015
2,776 posts
  •  
emdee
At least this year peoples weight was recorded on wristbands rather than written on your number. I recall from previous years lots of checking out everyone else's weight on their numbers as either they passed me or vice versa. Made for a strange form of people watching.
Jul 2015
9:27am, 28 Jul 2015
16,941 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
You'd need a big number to fit my weight on atm pig
Jul 2015
10:22am, 28 Jul 2015
59 posts
  •  
NomadicNutter
50 milers would still be at risk of hyponatremia so the weight is still relevant for them....perhaps more so as I guess you get more novices in the 50 than the 100. Luckily the weather was cooler than last year so less risk of drinking too much.

Next time I think I'll make them write 'she kept her shoes on and had a huge breakfast' next to the weight on my wrist band....it was definitely the first thing destroyed after I crossed the finish line ;)
Jul 2015
11:17am, 28 Jul 2015
16,009 posts
  •  
flanker
I dropped my shorts in the middle of the hall before being weighed. It was easier than emptying my pockets. Young lad weighing seemed a bit shocked.

They don't weigh you on the way round on the 50 or 100. It's for in case of medical emergency so they can see if there's any significant weight change. I do question the value seeing as it isn't in race kit, and in my case was 9 hours and two big meals before the start, which could easily make a difference of many lbs. However if it makes the organisers and insurers feel happy...

About This Thread

Maintained by Dave A
New thread. *boing* etc :-)