Ladies Who Lift...

91 watchers
Nov 2022
12:56pm, 28 Nov 2022
37,968 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I just like learning stuff even if I don't "use it" as such so just for me and my use
SPR
Nov 2022
1:03pm, 28 Nov 2022
39,050 posts
  •  
SPR
This was a post I made in 2016

Weightlifting shoes have a heel lift which makes lower squatting easier (less ankle flexibility needed). Although most Olympic lifters would be able to squat low in flats, the heel lift means their torso can be kept more upright in the bottom position.

I could just about flat foot squat when I started, but it was ugly and unusable for lifting. I started doing it daily and everytime I needed to get low though eg water cooler at work and it's very usable now (although I'm sure it could be better.

I think my joints were healthier for the regular practice but obviously no objective evidence. I don't do it daily these days but I probably should.

I think if you can squat to parallel, you're fine. I know some athletes may only do 'power' position stuff, but I think as kodo alluded to, going through a decent ROM is good for joint health.

Regarding squats, probably obviously but the three joints need to move at the same time and the knees will usually end up in front of the toes. I know there was a school of thought that knees shouldn't go forward much before so just mentioning it in case that's causing anyone issues with squats.
Nov 2022
1:31pm, 28 Nov 2022
8,067 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
I'm confused! If weightlifting shoes make squats easier why do I find squats with heels on a plate harder?
Nov 2022
1:45pm, 28 Nov 2022
1,155 posts
  •  
tipsku
Thank you for all your input. I agree, having a decent ROM in your joints is great for overall health. In cultures where they don't use Western furniture like chairs, sofas, etc. people squat a lot more and it's a comfortable position for them because they're used to it. Apparently, a deep squat is also good for doing a no. 2 ๐Ÿ˜

For running, I don't necessarily need it so I'm not stressing too much about it in the short term. I see it more like a long term goal to improve the ROM in my joints.

Like EvilPixie, I also have a long list of things I want to get my teeth into it but I don't have the time for it right now. Training for half and full marathons takes a lot of my time and my strength training supports this goal. Learning more about strength training on this thread will help me further down the road, I'm sure. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Nov 2022
1:50pm, 28 Nov 2022
37,972 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
that's exactly it!
Love to know more but little time ... train, work, eat, sleep just now hence the need for the lottery and retirement! haha
Nov 2022
1:57pm, 28 Nov 2022
1,156 posts
  •  
tipsku
And a bit off topic: Velociraptor, hello fellow LiRF. I used to be certified but after moving to Germany, I couldn't renew it so it expired.

Getting certified is quite the hassle, I remember that. I did my LiRF course in Wales in 2012 but couldn't get certified until 2016 because UK Athletics didn't accept my German ID as a valid form of ID even though I could travel with it. So I had to get a passport. Living in the UK at the time, I had to do this at the German embassy in London and I didn't get around doing that for a while until I needed the passport for something else.

I hope you can get back into it. I enjoyed the course and running some beginners courses after that. I'm still doing that at university here. They don't care that my license expired.
SPR
Nov 2022
2:06pm, 28 Nov 2022
39,051 posts
  •  
SPR
I'm confused! If weightlifting shoes make squats easier why do I find squats with heels on a plate harder?

I'm presuming this is a reasonable sized plate not lifting heels more than 5 cm?

Lifting heels significantly places more stress on the patella tendon and single leg squats on a significant raise a prescribed for jumper's knee.

Presuming it's not the above, what makes it harder? The only other thing I think of is instability given your foot would no longer be in full contact with the ground (wouldn't happen in shoes).
Nov 2022
2:27pm, 28 Nov 2022
8,068 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
I doubt the lift would be more than 5cm but weight would be more on the front of the foot I think. I can manage to do them OK but quads tire much quicker than with regular squats.
Nov 2022
9:03pm, 28 Nov 2022
3,075 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Velociraptor the Scottish LiRF course now has the safeguarding module. I had to do it when I renewed mine a couple of years ago. Hoping to do the coaching course next year.
Nov 2022
9:12pm, 28 Nov 2022
7,745 posts
  •  
Corrah
Lesley C just did my CiRF this year and really enjoyed it. Had to redo my safeguarding but thatโ€™s because it ties in with the LiRF.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
... a weights wire for women.

And in case you're wondering about that title, well, I like alliteration and one can be too po-faced about the use of girl/lady/woman.

Here's a strength standards for women thing Duracel found for us
strengthlevel.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.