Ladies Who Lift...

91 watchers
Nov 2022
1:37pm, 27 Nov 2022
61,264 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I also can't squat low. Once he'd convinced himself that this wasn't just a behavioural issue that could be overcome by making more effort, eL Bee! made me a big wedge to put under my heels, which at least made my squats LOOK lower. But at the moment I'm not including squats in my training because the resultant DOMS interferes with running whereas I can get away with lunges.
Nov 2022
2:00pm, 27 Nov 2022
23,129 posts
  •  
Meglet
Can also get much lower with a heel elevated squat, though I’ve only used it for goblet squats, not the barbell. For deadlifts my PT said barefoot (or just socks), same for leg press.
Nov 2022
2:03pm, 27 Nov 2022
37,918 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I either use some inov8 shoes or socks at home on yoga mat
Gym is running shoes but no longer gym member!
Need to start doing squats never been great at them never gone proper low
Nov 2022
2:44pm, 27 Nov 2022
3,759 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
I use Inov8 Fastlift weightlifting shoes (and they're bright pink :) ) for squats and atlas stones and either Nike Metcons or Inov8 F-Lites for everything else (bought Metcons when my PF was bad and super flat shoes made it worse).
Nov 2022
2:51pm, 27 Nov 2022
3,761 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
I think I will also feel today's workout tomorrow, as I'm already bruising nicely! Bruises on my wrists and shoulders from log, the insides of my elbows from my neoprene sleeves, along with bruises on my chest/boobs from log and atlas stones!
Nov 2022
2:55pm, 27 Nov 2022
20,795 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Crikey i_w are your workouts often so ...bruising? !!
Nov 2022
3:11pm, 27 Nov 2022
37,920 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Gosh I-W!

My inov8 are running shoes!
Nov 2022
5:39pm, 27 Nov 2022
1,129 posts
  •  
tipsku
Thank you very much, SPR. That's good to know when I'll get into heavier lifting. I'm still in the 'learning the movement' and 'finding stability' phase of doing weights.

I found a 16 mm silicon wedge I can put under my left heel when I do squats. I just tried it out and it makes a difference. I even managed a pistol squat with the right leg on that wedge but not with my left leg - too weak. I can definitely see that having a bigger drop makes things easier. I took notes of the tips that several of you have posted. I may switch from doing my sessions barefoot to wearing my old trainers with a 10 mm drop - should also help.

Like you, Velociraptor, I'm currently avoiding heavy weights when doing squats because that interferes with my running. I survive 3 sets of 10-12 with an 8 kg kettlebell without suffering too much DOMS so that's fine.

I also do split squats (static lunges) with 2x 4kg dumbbells, I manage 3 sets of 10-12 reps with those so it seems like it's a good weight for me. Single leg deadlifts with 6 kg and single leg squats with 2 kg are also good for 3 sets. Keeping the balance during the latter is hard so I don't use the bigger dumbbells yet - I find that holding light weights helps with the balance compared to doing them just with body weight.
Nov 2022
5:48pm, 27 Nov 2022
3,762 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
They are right now Sharkie as I've not been consistent lately, so my body doesn't remember what's happening!
SPR
Nov 2022
11:10am, 28 Nov 2022
39,046 posts
  •  
SPR
I was looking back and a few shoes were bought on this thread in Jan 2016. Funnily enough it was a discussion about squatting low that started it all, lol.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
... a weights wire for women.

And in case you're wondering about that title, well, I like alliteration and one can be too po-faced about the use of girl/lady/woman.

Here's a strength standards for women thing Duracel found for us
strengthlevel.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.