Ladies Who Lift...

91 watchers
SPR
Nov 2022
12:45pm, 27 Nov 2022
39,038 posts
  •  
SPR
Wedge would help as well. Some people put small plates under their heel when squatting at the gym.
Nov 2022
12:48pm, 27 Nov 2022
10,574 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
We have something like this at the gym:

amazon.co.uk

It helps me to get lower into squats - I also have limited ankle flexibility.
Nov 2022
12:54pm, 27 Nov 2022
26,803 posts
  •  
Ness
I haven't bought lifting shoes because of the cost. Those ones mentioned previously look good though so I might consider them. At the moment I put a piece of boarding under my feet when I'm doing squats. Just seems to help to have my heels raised a but.
Nov 2022
12:54pm, 27 Nov 2022
20,790 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Ha! Years and years ago while I was still distance running Raffo made me a ramp like that (I still have it) - I'd been told to use one to do calf exercises on by a physio. Can't quite remember why - some lengthening thing I suppose. I always say I've got tight ankles but I can do very deep squats so I'm not sure....
Nov 2022
12:55pm, 27 Nov 2022
26,804 posts
  •  
Ness
*a bit* not *a but* please excuse typo.
Nov 2022
1:07pm, 27 Nov 2022
20,791 posts
  •  
Sharkie
We had a Fetch fest buying Adidas weight lifting shoes a while ago. Might have been before this thread. Probably more than five years ago. (Eeek!) Mine still look quite new - must take them to London as I don't go to a gym here any more.

Nov 2022
1:08pm, 27 Nov 2022
20,792 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I need a lorry for all the shoes* I take to Lee Valley, don't relish yet another pair...

* gross exaggeration obvs
SPR
Nov 2022
1:10pm, 27 Nov 2022
39,039 posts
  •  
SPR
I remember us discussing shoes here previously Sharkie. Those are an earlier version of the power lift.
SPR
Nov 2022
1:14pm, 27 Nov 2022
39,040 posts
  •  
SPR
Ness - Lifting shoes will last ages (possibly almost forever). I still have the pair from before I upgraded (a version of the Power Perfect). The main ones stay in my gym bag, while I use the other one when training at home. The sole is unlikely to wear out so more likely for some stitching to come loose or for the velcro to mess up the laces (which can be replaced).

Sharkie - I can't imagine your ankles are overly stiff in the dorsiflexion range as it would affect your sprinting. I kind of think the same as you but think I have decent range on the knee to wall test. Just tried it actually and I need to work on left ankle Vs right (I had a injury late 2019/ early 2020 and not only do I have less range) I can feel the injury site doing the test.

Cath - that would be fairly stable although if buying I'd look for shoes at that price (there will be cheaper brands that Nike and Adidas I think).
Nov 2022
1:20pm, 27 Nov 2022
26,806 posts
  •  
Ness
That's a good point, SPR. Might think about them. Thanks.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
... a weights wire for women.

And in case you're wondering about that title, well, I like alliteration and one can be too po-faced about the use of girl/lady/woman.

Here's a strength standards for women thing Duracel found for us
strengthlevel.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.