Ladies Who Lift...

91 watchers
Nov 2021
2:15pm, 26 Nov 2021
55,118 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Nicely done, Pix :)

We have lots of dumbbell bars with detachable plates. I was surprised that the bar and the screws that hold the plates in place came to 2kg on their own.
Nov 2021
4:47pm, 26 Nov 2021
18,041 posts
  •  
Ness
Yes. Nice work, Pix. Mr Ness and I also have a fair assortment of dumbbell bars with detachable weights. Because they were cheap ones there is some variability in the weights so Mr Ness has weighed them on the kitchen scales and labelled them up so we can be sure we are using pairs of weights that are closely matched. For the barbells he checks the weight with our luggage scales but that’s not that accurate.
Nov 2021
5:12pm, 26 Nov 2021
18,931 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Oh that's a good idea re the labelling, Ness. Raffo bought a set of the detachable weights with small bars and screws but they're such a faff I invested in a set of heavy duty dumbbells complete with equally heavy duty string rack, when there was an offer on somewhere.

The heaviest is pair are only 10kgs the others are 3, 4, 6 and 8s. This is a pretty good range for elderly me. I could possibly do with a single heavier weight for something like bent over rows I suppose. I use the weights far more than Raffo odes so perhaps I should see if I can get 12kg on a bar.
Nov 2021
5:18pm, 26 Nov 2021
18,047 posts
  •  
Ness
Sounds like a good range too, Sharkie. Our weight plates were bought a while ago. They were very cheap and there was a little bit of variation. Mr Ness has bought washers which he’s superglued to one of the plates that was particularly light. He uses heavier weights than I do. 10kg is the heaviest dumbbell I use too. Like you said, for rows. I have been going for increasing reps rather than weight.
Nov 2021
5:37pm, 26 Nov 2021
8,200 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Last week of the endurance phase (lower weight, higher reps) this week. Back on to strength phase next week (higher weights lower reps).

I've been been happy with my progression during the endurance phase. I've been able to up the sets/reps considerably over the 7 weeks I've been doing it. (First full session was 4th Oct - eg deadlifts was only 2x 15 @ 35kg. Now doing 4x 15 @35kg).
Nov 2021
7:50pm, 27 Nov 2021
12,926 posts
  •  
early bird
Did all the workouts and the scores have been verified. Just waiting for the 'official result' but looks like I've qualified dur to the fact that there's not 20 people in my catagory πŸ˜‚ Looks like I'm going to have to try and put some serious training in seeing as I am well bottom of that list πŸ™ˆ Aim will be not to be last if I don't manage that then at least not to be s**t πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Those are big sets teebee. Hope the heavier weight low reps feel easier 😊 🀞

We have fixed weight hexagonal dumbells. Not weighed them though wonder if I should check them πŸ€”

Last night we did sumo deadlifts 10,8,6,4,2,2,2 increasing the weight every set. Started at 47.5kg and didn't look or add up what PT was adding on after each set (they were only smaller plates eg 5.9,2.5,2.0,1.25,1.0 etc) OH said he thinks I could've lifted heavier but I think I trust my PT's judgement more than his πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚
PT seems to be getting more serious now he knows I've qualified for this competition.

I've also decided to do a short 8 week programme to build some cardio and endurance. Short bike sprints, mid distance on rower and longer with runs no more than 5k. Just did test week and need to retest later. This will hopefully give me a bit more fitness for the competition 🀞
Nov 2021
7:52pm, 27 Nov 2021
29,291 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
These belong to mr pix from before I knew him
I’ve never known him use them
Dec 2021
9:57pm, 6 Dec 2021
12,928 posts
  •  
early bird
Post lockdown back squat pb of 62.5kg up from 55kg 😊 still a bit short from where I was but heading back in the right direction πŸ’ͺ
Dec 2021
9:59pm, 6 Dec 2021
9,880 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
Nice. 15kg iso-hold floor press for me today. I think that’s a PB… and having done 8 reps, I suspect there is more to be had.
Dec 2021
7:40am, 7 Dec 2021
12,929 posts
  •  
early bird
Great work 😊πŸ’ͺ

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
... a weights wire for women.

And in case you're wondering about that title, well, I like alliteration and one can be too po-faced about the use of girl/lady/woman.

Here's a strength standards for women thing Duracel found for us
strengthlevel.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.