9:49am, 12 Oct 2021
8,337 posts
  •  
sallykate
Excellent work EB :-)

Verdict on my tennis elbow:

- doesn't look like it's referred pain from any neck or shoulder issues

- lots of tendon inflammation

- extensors and flexors are tight (so self-massage)

- strengthen extensors with light weights

- avoid anything which aggravates it right now, though I forgot to ask whether that means just the obvious stuff which makes it hurt straight away (mainly lifting things over my head) or also more general moves like press ups or rowing.
Oct 2021
3:31pm, 12 Oct 2021
12,920 posts
  •  
early bird
Are you using ibrufen gel or anything Sally? If it was me I would avoid the obvious stuff but feel free to ignore me I didn't stop exercising when I broke finger 😂

Can tell the PT is back 24kg KB swings today 😭
Oct 2021
3:36pm, 12 Oct 2021
8,340 posts
  •  
sallykate
I got through an entire tube of Voltarol with no obvious effect!

24kg is awesome! I used to think 16kg was challenging but now I'm fine with that - but wary about going up in case my back can't take it.
Oct 2021
4:11pm, 12 Oct 2021
12,921 posts
  •  
early bird
Hope it improves soon 🤞

Yeah he made me do it a short time ago but even though I asked him to easy on me today he still made me do it 🙈 I just keep thinking the 16kg will feel easy now after this 😂
Gus
Oct 2021
4:05pm, 25 Oct 2021
1,784 posts
  •  
Gus
First session (in over a year and a half) with the personal trainer today, my legs feel like jelly and walking up and down stairs is a bit painful! But I did enjoy it and it feels good to get back on track with lifting, just hope I'm ok for tomorrow's walk:)
Oct 2021
4:30pm, 25 Oct 2021
54,626 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Excellent, Gus :) You'll suffer tomorrow but the next time will be better :)
Oct 2021
6:08pm, 25 Oct 2021
18,778 posts
  •  
Sharkie
My athletics coach has set me two sessions - each with a home and gym version - for the next four weeks. I am supposed to do at least three sessions every two weeks. Having them written into my general training plan is a big help to me.

She's an ex heptathlete so knows exactly how to squash lots of different elements into a workable whole.

So.... I did my first 'proper' gym session for ages yesterday. It seemed very long!
If I manage six planned sessions (rather than a bit of this and a bit of that, avoiding stuff I don't much like) I'll be pleased with myself. I have no excuses NOT to as she has worked out where I'll be and what I'm doing before and after with appropriate rest days penned (keyed) in.
Oct 2021
6:10pm, 25 Oct 2021
18,779 posts
  •  
Sharkie
24kg kettle swings is indeed awesome EB!
Oct 2021
6:13pm, 25 Oct 2021
18,780 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Part of the class tonight was a 2RM (2 rep max) bench press. My previous 1 RM was 35kg. Tonight I did 2 at that weight so decided to up the weight a bit to 37.5kg. I managed 1 rep and failed the second but that means I now have a new 2RM bench and a 1RM bench. Happy I went tonight ...

Also VERY impressive, early bird!
Oct 2021
6:27pm, 25 Oct 2021
18,781 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I'm sure I used to be able to deep squat more than 30kg (in my early 60s) but at 68 I am finding it quite difficult to go heavier. I cheat and only do a shallow squat!

There were four sets of 8 reps in my session yesterday but I went down to 25kg for the second set determined to get 'ass to grass' as they say (but I don't - bum to calf more like) Still wasn't entirely satisfied so I did the last two sets with just the bar (20kg) but 10 fast reps ALL the way down. It's not that I physically can't ...must ask coach what she thinks.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
... a weights wire for women.

And in case you're wondering about that title, well, I like alliteration and one can be too po-faced about the use of girl/lady/woman.

Here's a strength standards for women thing Duracel found for us
strengthlevel.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.