Ladies Who Lift...

91 watchers
Jul 2021
3:47pm, 16 Jul 2021
3,148 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
I've not been doing much of it lately! Would indeed be the log press - can be varying lengths and diameters of steel or wooden log, but they'll all leave a lovely bruise on your chin if the clean is more powerful than you expect 😂
Jul 2021
5:02pm, 16 Jul 2021
5,925 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
I attempted a slightly heavier weight bench press at my PT session today. I managed to get it off the rack and controlled it down but then couldn't get it back up again! Luckily the coach was on the ball and no harm done 🤣
Jul 2021
7:15pm, 16 Jul 2021
77,567 posts
  •  
swittle
Thanks for the info about the log press. The curved surface rolled neatly over the chest and up towards Berni's chin - without making contact. :)
Aug 2021
9:33am, 3 Aug 2021
12,914 posts
  •  
early bird
Still hanging around. Still doing gym. I'm finding it frustrating atm as my PT has stripped everything back and I'm not allowed to lift anything approaching anywhere near heavy. He's decided to get my form and movement as good as it can be (sensible I know but I miss lifting heavy) He also wants me to work on my metabolic conditioning which I guess is my own fault as I expressed an interest in doing the crossfit open competition in February at the prescribed level for my age. I have 6 months and so much to work on. I might not get there but I'm going to give it my best shot 💪

Last week we laid down out 5k row times followed by back squats. Last night it was 20 mins max distance ski erg followed by back squats. Upped the weight ever so slightly last night (from 35kg to 37kg I think 🙄) From how he's talking the plan is to continue just making small increments every week so I gain strength while moving well. Next week we've been told it's 20 mins max distance echo bike (a stationary air resistance bike with cross training type handles. Harder than the old assault air bike but not as bad as the bike erg) no doubt followed by more back squats.

Mondays tend to be legs and Tuesday upper body with metcon stuff on Fridays. I try to fit in two classes a week as well but sinetimes only get one.

Working on dumbell thrusters a lot 🙄 🙈 and doing midline stability work as well.

On Saturday we had a gym open day so I signed up for 3 classes 😂 Third class was a team of 3 WOD. We smashed it and were the only team to finish in the time cap. It was my hubby myself and another gym buddy. We broke him a little bit as he had to go outside and puke during the workout 🤢 it was so much fun I love doing the team WODS. I've been told I'm reading too much into a comment my PT made that day. 'Don't let me down' when another instructor was taking a class. Hubby and I do our sessions together but he never said that to him........ I feel like I got singled out because I was the one who was potentially going to let him down. I know my lifting techniques need work and I'm never going to be great at this but I guess when you're struggling those comments hurt. If I was in a good place it probably wouldn't have bothered me. I am struggling a bit mentally again but recovery is never just an upward curve I guess 🤷🏻‍♀️ just going to keep plodding on and keep moving....... the gym normally helps.
Aug 2021
10:29am, 3 Aug 2021
7,038 posts
  •  
Corrah
EB big hugs. Sorting out the form is the way to go. Am also sure the comment wasn’t meant the way you took it xx
Aug 2021
10:54am, 3 Aug 2021
8,147 posts
  •  
sallykate
EB might be worth a word with your PT to ask him to be more careful with his words to you.
Aug 2021
2:32pm, 3 Aug 2021
3,197 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
You'll soon be back lifting heavy, EB - it's frustrating, but the technique with will make it easier long term.

I'm off games again - haven't been doing much since starting new job and shifts again, but had just joined a boot camp. Then was brushing the cat and gave him his flea treatment on Sunday night - when I stood up, I stepped back onto his feeder on the floor and dislocated my left patella again (twisted it out trying to save myself).
Aug 2021
6:23pm, 3 Aug 2021
2,289 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Ouch I_W

EB, he might have meant it the complete opposite way. Maybe he's been singing your praises to the other PTs and wanted you to live up to high expectations, which you clearly did in the third class.

(No idea what WOD is).

I've been doing no strength stuff at all lately because of fetchpoint and castle, but neither is really going as well as I'd like, so I should get back to the strength stuff.
Aug 2021
10:32am, 4 Aug 2021
8,152 posts
  •  
sallykate
WOD = workout of the day - I think it originates from CrossFit. A set of moves to do for a number of repeats.

I’ve been looking at how to squat lower; think I’ll ask my trainer tomorrow. I know there are a number of things potentially to work on but not sure where to start.
Aug 2021
11:24am, 4 Aug 2021
3,200 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
Working on ankle mobility is often a biggie to get a deeper squat. And box squats - gradually lowering the height of the box until you're comfortably squatting to depth (in powerlifting terms, hip crease below/parallel to knees). Raising the heels slightly (either with lifting shoes or increment plates below the heels) can also help, as well as lowering the weight until you're comfortably squatting deeper.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
... a weights wire for women.

And in case you're wondering about that title, well, I like alliteration and one can be too po-faced about the use of girl/lady/woman.

Here's a strength standards for women thing Duracel found for us
strengthlevel.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.