BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Ladies Who Lift...

62 watchers
7 Apr
7:06pm, 7 Apr 2021
3014 posts
idle_wilder
That's exciting, Shades! I've cancelled my gym membership for now as I've not been working for so long and we've pretty much got what we need in the garage for now. I've just entered another strongwoman competition in Ayrshire in July, after doing my first one last February before the world closed down!
7 Apr
7:41pm, 7 Apr 2021
427 posts
Shades
IW - wow that is exciting. Will all lockdown restrictions be lifted in Scotland by then? I've never seen a strongwoman competition, do you have a variety of tasks to do?
8 Apr
11:51am, 8 Apr 2021
3016 posts
idle_wilder
Travel restrictions around Scotland should hopefully be lifted at the end of this month, with most other things opening around then too.

If you've ever watched World's Strongest Man on TV at Xmas, it's like that but on a smaller (and lighter) scale! Ayrshire's Strongest Woman has 5 events: 50kg axle clean & press for reps (axle is much thicker than a barbell, so harder to grip), silver dollar 18 inch deadlift (so start pulling from around knee-height, rather than the floor), sandbag run of 50kg, 60kg, 70kg & 80kg bags (pick them up and move them 15m as fast as you can), 150kg Conan's wheel (basically a thick bar you hold against your chest, which is fixed in the centre and you move it round as far as you can) and atlas stone over yoke (choice of a 70kg or 80kg stone - heavier trumps lighter).
8 Apr
1:54pm, 8 Apr 2021
429 posts
Shades
IW - that is an impressive selection of events to complete.

Was it from lifting in the gym that got you interested in competing in strongwoman competition?
8 Apr
6:37pm, 8 Apr 2021
3017 posts
idle_wilder
It was, Shades - I used to run heaps (hence finding this place :) ), then suffered a ceilidh dancing injury and started training with a PT at the gym with the aim of getting back running, found I enjoyed the strength stuff, did some powerlifting, PT kept suggesting strongwoman, did a workshop at another gym, then eventually gave it a go :)
9 Apr
11:07am, 9 Apr 2021
430 posts
Shades
IW - amazing that from an injury and the recovery plan you found yourself another sport/passion.

Ceilidh dancing is obviously a dangerous sport 😉

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
... a weights wire for women.

And in case you're wondering about that title, well, I like alliteration and one can be too po-faced about the use of girl/lady/woman.

Here's a strength standards for women thing Duracel found for us
strengthlevel.com

Close