kitchen renovation

1 watcher
Dec 2016
8:44pm, 21 Dec 2016
10,201 posts
  •  
controversial
Hi Fetchies

As i know this is more a question for "fetchKnowsEverything" than running, but I am going to do a kitchen renovation. I have had several quotes from the kitchen design shop (nothing fancy!). However the quote for the appliances is 15% more (for the exact same appliances) than if I was buying them myself from a high street/internet shop. Is this normal??? I would have expected to get it cheaper than if I bought it myself.

Any thoughts or has anyone got any experience on this to help me?
Dec 2016
8:23am, 22 Dec 2016
10,202 posts
  •  
controversial
boing boing ... anyone??
Dec 2016
8:30am, 22 Dec 2016
1,565 posts
  •  
larkim
Doesn't surprise me at all that the kitchen company sells the appliances at more than the high street / internet. The retailers will firstly be much bigger buyers of these units than the kitchen design shop and secondly its their core business with high levels of competition so they'll need to match or keep an eye on their competition.

For the kitchen design co they'll be buying them in perhaps with less good discounts than the retailers can, and all they'll get out of it is a small profit percentage. They're probably not bothered either way whether you buy through them or not.

Fairly standard practice I'd have thought to mark them up a little more. Plus I assume they're also quoting for them being installed?

No harm in asking them if they mind if you source them from somewhere else to save a few quid, but in the context of a kitchen refit I doubt the saving would be particularly significant.
Dec 2016
8:34am, 22 Dec 2016
9,517 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
We are having our kitchen replaced and are using Wren Kitchens. When it came to appliances, they price matched our choices against all the major retailers. I'm assuming they can do this because of the volume of appliances they sell with their kitchens?
MH
Dec 2016
8:48am, 22 Dec 2016
465 posts
  •  
MH
When we did ours we sourced all the appliances ourselves as there were specific items we wanted (plus we used a contractor and then got the units from Benchmarx). I think you can source the appliances yourself with wren as well? if not haggle, they will probably be expecting you to negotiate the price down a bit anyway
Dec 2016
9:27am, 22 Dec 2016
8,235 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Most suppliers who are providing goods purchased elsewhere will add on a small amount as a contrubution to their costs, handling charges etc. But 15% is a bit much, 5-10% is typical.
Dec 2016
9:26am, 23 Dec 2016
10,203 posts
  •  
controversial
thanks for the answers guys! That is helpful, I think I will order my own appliances!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by controversial
Hi Fetchies

As i know this is more a question for "fetchKnowsEverything" than running, but I a...