Kit Investment

4 watchers
Feb 2020
4:48pm, 20 Feb 2020
593 posts
  •  
Superjools
I've squirreled a few quid away to buy a waterproof running jacket (bit late given what we've just been through but hey ho!). I was looking towards GoreTex but there are just so, so many to choose from. Does anyone have anything they could recommend from experience?

I'd rather spend a bit more and not have to keep replacing (the war on plastic continues!).

Cheers in advance for any suggestions or advice :D
Feb 2020
10:30pm, 20 Feb 2020
603 posts
  •  
Superjools
Up you go... Someone must own one!
Feb 2020
10:37pm, 20 Feb 2020
1,526 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Unless I was going to be out for hours in heavy weather I don't think I'd go for a Goretex jacket. I have a Berghaus RG1 (if I remember rightly) but I would rather run in something made of pertex, or maybe my OMM Kamleika (Gelanots material I think), as they tend to be more form fitting and lighter weight.
I read good things about Goretex Shakedry, but at a few hundred quid minimum for a good jacket I'd have to be sure
Feb 2020
10:40pm, 20 Feb 2020
3,494 posts
  •  
StuH 🇪🇺
I've got a fully waterproof, taped seams etc Inov8 jacket. Worn it 3 times max. It does a good job of keeping the rain out but unfortunately I sweat, quite a bit. So I still end up wet. Skin's waterproof.
Feb 2020
10:46pm, 20 Feb 2020
2,790 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I like my inov8 more than the kamleika it replaced. Hood is a bit flappy; I don't really like to have the hood up much, so flappy when it is down. Hood is also a funny shape, but functions well, so...

I wouldn't choose goretex except for long distances in severe weather.
Feb 2020
10:49pm, 20 Feb 2020
15,779 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I've a Goretex jacket (black) that's still fully waterproof after ten years. I wear it for up to an hour and a half max in heavy rain. Good pockets, good shape - but no hood.

Last year in one of StartFitness excellent sales I invested in an Innov jacket with an integrated hood. It's really light and the hood stays up - I do sprint sessions in it so can vouch for the RoM it allows. Quite flattering too and a nice deep red colour!
Feb 2020
10:56pm, 20 Feb 2020
15,780 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Might have been SportsShoes not Start Fitness - this sort of thing but not this model - mine has taped pockets.

sportsshoes.com
Feb 2020
11:07pm, 20 Feb 2020
9,564 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'm on my 2nd kamelika smock

1st is still perfectly serviceable but the lining started to come off around the ends of the sleeves - I think due to me wearing it a lot and using the thumb loops.

But it's still waterproof and useful. And I still wear it regularly. I just need to find a way to seal the lining in the sleeves as I get white bits on me every time I wear it.

The new one is one of the blue/red/purple colour schemes. And is brilliant. If anything better than the 1st. The lining is different too so don't think it'll come away in the same fashion.

My only gripe with the new version is that it's a bit trickier to roll up the hood - the old one had velcro strap thing to hold it. The new version doesn't - not worn it in high winds in the tops yet.
Feb 2020
11:18pm, 20 Feb 2020
9,565 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Should clarify that I only got 2nd one because I'd had the old one 10years and have used it a *lot* on the fells. Including some long days.

I also using when travelling light and need to take a waterproof.

Took it with me to a few conferences and overseas trips when I was just taking hand baggage, so it got worn and thrown around a lot on those types of trips too

It was only really the last year or so the lining has started to go.
jda
Feb 2020
8:00pm, 26 Feb 2020
6,465 posts
  •  
jda
I use the cheapest available Mountain Warehouse pertex shell, maybe 20 quid though it might have been less. Add hat, gloves, two layers under it and I'm good for pretty much anything though I try not to go out when it's absolutely tipping down (or about to).

About This Thread

Maintained by Superjools
I've squirreled a few quid away to buy a waterproof running jacket (bit late given what we&apos...