Kit for fat people (ok people who are overweight!)

4 watchers
May 2013
2:13pm, 11 May 2013
7 posts
  •  
Suzi Q
Ok, since I stopped running, and kept eating as if I was running regularly with a long run of 10+ miles, plus eating cause I was miserable about not being able to run, I've put on weight, and am now classed as "obsese" (eeeeekkkkk!).

I've now started running again (well sort of!) and want some kit that doesn't make me look like a ten tonne elephant, and stuff that wicks (when you are fat, this is very important as you tend to sweat MUCH more easily!)! A lot of running kit seems to finish about a size below where I am, and so far, stuff I've seen for the "larger lady" is either none wicking, or I'd need to get out a mortgage to afford it, or looks like a fashion item rather than running kit!

So anyone any ideas? I also tend to be long bodied, and hate tops that just aren't long enough. It's bad enough blobbing along the road in a sort of run, subjecting everyone to the sight of fat wobbling, without showing bare wobbling flesh in the middle to add to the torture!
May 2013
2:18pm, 11 May 2013
32,800 posts
  •  
LorraineS
It might be worth having a trawl through the Sale stock on Achilles Heel

achillesheel.co.uk
May 2013
2:21pm, 11 May 2013
14,246 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I ran in Adidas early on. Tends to be more generously cut, the fabric's a bit thicker and therefore less clingy and it's longer in the body:

574 here
266 here

Admittedly I'm a 6ft tall man who at that stage was 16 stone. Can't vouch for ladies' cut kit, I'm afraid. Would men's kit work for you?
May 2013
2:27pm, 11 May 2013
621 posts
  •  
Padidass
wefitin.co.uk

Had a quick google and found the above.
May 2013
7:42pm, 11 May 2013
8 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Hi, I' m on my way down weight-wise, but have recently started running while still obese (BMI 31, size 16-18). I wear Nike wicking kit - either the general workout gear, or the run-specific. Size L fits me fine (I'm 5'7" with a long body), they do XL as well. I also have some Karrimor running gear in a slightly snug 16.
May 2013
7:48pm, 11 May 2013
2,078 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Hi - you could try Next - their own brand clothes are in a good range of sizes and some of them are sweat-wicking.
May 2013
7:49pm, 11 May 2013
2,079 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Meant to add - M&S is another option (and much cheaper too). Their stuff is great and sweat-wicking also.
May 2013
7:55pm, 11 May 2013
4,179 posts
  •  
colettedeann
I was at TK Maxx today and they had a wide range of clothes for all sizes in their sport section
May 2013
7:58pm, 11 May 2013
48,469 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I used to wear mens wicking T shirts
May 2013
8:01pm, 11 May 2013
1,280 posts
  •  
Helegant
As an 'apple' shape I can't wear low-waist leggings because my hips are narrower than my waist and they simply roll down. If anyone knows of a source of more traditional style (and L-XL) running bottoms I'd be glad to know of it. And... cheap too please.

About This Thread

Maintained by Suzi Q
Ok, since I stopped running, and kept eating as if I was running regularly with a long run of 10+ mi...