Kindle

6 watchers
WA
Jul 2022
8:31pm, 19 Jul 2022
10,088 posts
  •  
WA
Yes, still working. Mine is a 4th generation.
Jul 2022
12:59am, 20 Jul 2022
150 posts
  •  
Rascal
I think it's Google restricting this. I have the same trouble buying or renting films on Chili app. They direct you to buy via Web browser instead of the app. Google want to charge 30% fee on each purchase via their app store. As Amazon, Chili, Rakuten refuse to pay the fees. But their apps are downloaded from Google so hands are tied. Frustrating.
Jul 2022
1:05am, 20 Jul 2022
151 posts
  •  
Rascal
I tried to buy a kindle book via Amazon app from Android mobile. But they have stopped that too. Advised to purchase direct from Amazon Web site. Which is a bit of a faff.
Jul 2022
8:36am, 20 Jul 2022
34,221 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
thank you fetchies
Jul 2022
9:56am, 20 Jul 2022
18,566 posts
  •  
larkim
This is what is happening

goodereader.com

Older gen kindles will lose the ability to buy via the device

This will affect the Kindle 2nd Gen International, Kindle DX International, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th generation, and the Kindle 5th generation. The only way you can still buy books, is by visiting the online Amazon website on a mobile internet browser or your computer, finding books you want to buy, make the purchase decision and then syncing your Kindle to fetch the new content, it is quite the workaround.
Jul 2022
9:56am, 20 Jul 2022
18,567 posts
  •  
larkim
Didn't mean that to be a spoiler! It should be a quote

This will affect the Kindle 2nd Gen International, Kindle DX International, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th generation, and the Kindle 5th generation. The only way you can still buy books, is by visiting the online Amazon website on a mobile internet browser or your computer, finding books you want to buy, make the purchase decision and then syncing your Kindle to fetch the new content, it is quite the workaround.
Jul 2022
9:58am, 20 Jul 2022
18,568 posts
  •  
larkim
And link here from Amazon themselves

amazon.com
Jul 2022
9:59am, 20 Jul 2022
18,569 posts
  •  
larkim
17th August is the switch off date apparently.
Jul 2022
10:03am, 20 Jul 2022
34,224 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
that'll be why they want a new one!
Mine is older than their kindle (about 9yrs) and will need replacing
I see the new ones come with "ads" (which I think are recommendations) and kindle unlimited for 3 months at a reduced price
Jul 2022
10:09am, 20 Jul 2022
4,713 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
I have one with "ads" it just means that when it is switched off the screen saver shows a recommended book. I actually find it useful to give me ideas of what to read next!

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
Amazon no longer allow you to buy books for kindle off old kindles or on the apple or android apps.

Does anyone have any experience of the new kindles?

Google tells me I can buy books on a kindle paper white but it doesn’t say anything on Amazon itself!

In laws want to upgrade!