Ketogenic Diet?

8 watchers
Oct 2016
11:02pm, 12 Oct 2016
34,680 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
High protein diets are not ketogenic. High fat diets that are low in carbohydrate and provide just enough protein are ketogenic. The amino acids that make up protein can be used by the body to make glucose and will interfere with the development of ketosis.
Oct 2016
11:03pm, 12 Oct 2016
3,008 posts
  •  
run free
I think the Atkins diet is any fat - "bad" and "good" fats.

The ketogenic diet is about eating medium chained triglycerides and the Diabetes site does feature it as apparently it has helped to control those with type 2 diabetes. It also has been highlighted to have other benefits such as my friend finding her son's eczema was greatly reduced.

I thought I'd try it cos of suffering from eczema but failed to keep going with it after 2 weeks as I wasn't disciplined and caved into a "rice" craving.

However after, I still continue to eat low carbs and defo find I am much more alert and have more energy having a fatty protein veggie style diet.

I have much more fatty protein type foods on ultras and think this is where the ketogenic side can work best. On one ultra, I made dough balls made of protein flour, coconut butter and seeds. Eating them gave me an excellent boost.
Oct 2016
11:05pm, 12 Oct 2016
3,009 posts
  •  
run free
During the 2 weeks, I did have a high fat, medium protein, low carb diet.
Oct 2016
11:23pm, 12 Oct 2016
26,138 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Having Atkinsed for a few weeks a while ago, I can confirm that while the weight does come off, your bowels won't thank you for it when you eventually go for a poo after two weeks or so.
Oct 2016
8:48am, 13 Oct 2016
17,819 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Thanks everyone, especially Zeb for his personal experience and McG for a crucial price of information no one else had mentioned. I too am averse to dieting, just eating whatever I fancy. I don't eat to unhealthily, but it could be better.
Zeb
Oct 2016
11:17am, 13 Oct 2016
838 posts
  •  
Zeb
<cough> her <cough>

And no poo issues here btw.
Zeb
Oct 2016
11:19am, 13 Oct 2016
839 posts
  •  
Zeb
^^ there were missing brackets in my previous post - original post should have read ^cough^ her ^cough^. :-D
Oct 2016
11:35am, 13 Oct 2016
17,822 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Sorry Zeb!
Oct 2016
2:02pm, 13 Oct 2016
7 posts
  •  
sgillespieuk
Hi,

My wife and I have been on a Keto LCHF diet for the past few months for different reasons, my wife to improve her health eg reduction in inflammation, Blood Pressure etc as recommended by a doctor, I am doing it to loose weight and the endurance benefits of becoming fat adapted Both of us has lost weight and see an improvement in health (although that could be attributed to just cutting out the processed junk we used to eat) and I am just starting to increase my endurance after a few months off due to injury. The biggest difference I see is that I am eating less calories but feeling less hungry and not snacking like I did when I have tried to diet in the past.

The reason for post is to comment on a few posts made regarding bonking etc on long runs, loosing top end performance. If you are looking at performance rather than just the weight loss/health benefits then many of the gurus suggest a lowered carb rather than low carb eg below 200 vs a stringent 25-50, others also suggest that to compete rather than just complete you need to slow drip carbs in during an event, but less than previously.

A few good podcast are the tri-specific Fat Black (triathlon related), Keto talk and Liviing La Vida Low Carb Show by Jimmy Moore and there is some good previous episodes in Endurance Planet.

Looking forward to hearing about other peoples experiences on Keto
Stuart
Sep 2020
8:11pm, 4 Sep 2020
1,403 posts
  •  
Gromit
Anyone still following LCHF on here ? I’ve been following it for around a month and loving it so far

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Mrs D shared an article on this with me. It suggests, amongst other things, that it might be help fi...