Keeping warm

1 watcher
Jan 2015
8:25pm, 18 Jan 2015
16,296 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Went out today in the Lincolnshire Wolds for a 14 miler. I'm to the north of the Wolds, so the hills are all north-facing and exposed. It was freezing! On top of that, the mud was slippery with ice, let alone the roads, so there were large chunks where I had to walk or otherwise take extra care.

Couple of weeks ago I ran round a lake in Milton Keynes and got rather wet. So much so that I needed to change kit half way round. Of course, as I got wet, I slowed, which meant I got colder and slowed more. I was wearing a relatively cheap "waterproof" running jacket from a well-known teutonic discount supermarket!

I'd say I need to invest in some winter kit. If I'm racing a full-on 5k then what I've got is fine. Parkrun yesterday was baselayer and a windproof over, and shorts! It's when I'm putting in the longer slower mileage that I need something. A hoody won't do, though, I suspect, as I tried it and it gets proper heavy.

If I were to be investing in a few key pieces for my winter wardrobe, what should they be?
Jan 2015
8:30pm, 18 Jan 2015
7,916 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Lots of layers for me. Today was Gore base layer, a Nike zip up type thing thats warm and a Bupa Greatrun waterproof jacket on top plus running tights, hat and gloves (with a spare waterproof pair just in case - notneeded.)
Jan 2015
8:48pm, 18 Jan 2015
12,229 posts
  •  
GlennR
Wool base for me, usual synthetic running top, long sleeved if appropriate, windproof on top. Standard running tights are fine even on the coldest days.
Jan 2015
8:54pm, 18 Jan 2015
5,396 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
My best buy recently has been Ron Hill gloves with windproof mitten that you can tuck away - they are fabulous. I tend to wear layers - with merino base layer if it is really cold (as it has been recently ;) )
Jan 2015
9:00pm, 18 Jan 2015
138 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
I've got a running beanie and gloves set by Ron hill they were off amazon. I've also got a running fleece
Jan 2015
9:07pm, 18 Jan 2015
9,600 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Maybe you have it all already. Today in about -1C with a snell Northerly and going slowly I wore a parkrun shirt, a tech race t and a l/s Adidas climacool top. And hat and gloves. As it gets colder I shuffle the pack, maybe have a cotton t, then a non tech l/s top, then an extra t, then a fleece. I also have a heavy cotton hoody, which is quite pleasant as long as the weather is bone dry.

I also have a teutonic discount waterproof jacket, but it's a short-tailed cycling one. Does the job, but I tend to avoid the rain. Always shorts, just increasing in length. Today's were knee length board shorts with a liner.
Jan 2015
9:39pm, 18 Jan 2015
10,970 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
If you wear too much and overheat you'll sweat more and then there's an increased risk of getting cold very quickly. I suppose ideally you'd note the temperature, wind and your speed along with what you're wearing and how comfortable you are, and then have some rules.

I would think it wise to carry extra clothes if you're far from civilisation in case you are forced to stop.
Jan 2015
10:51pm, 18 Jan 2015
705 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Saturdays morning's 12-mile run was fine and I generally felt warm, even in just shorts with a couple of layers on top with a temperature of 1C. However, my fingers were numb despite my Ron Hill gloves on and trying to keep the blood flowing through them while I was out. Then came the pain when I got indoors as the warm house temperature hit them! I either need thicker gloves or wear a second pair as I am starting to believe that I have a circulation problem in my hands
Jan 2015
10:58pm, 18 Jan 2015
4,111 posts
  •  
CStar
Hell Runner yesterday 0-1 degrees, but no wind. - Tech T, long sleeved Tech tee, another tech tee, beanie and gloves. Perfect on a stop start, fairly slow 10M run with lots of hills, water and ending up fully submerged!
Jan 2015
11:00pm, 18 Jan 2015
13,683 posts
  •  
MissChappo
I've never yet experienced conditions that are cold enough for a Fetch hat. Not sure if they're still available but they seem to just boil your head and keep the rest of your body warm.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Went out today in the Lincolnshire Wolds for a 14 miler. I'm to the north of the Wolds, so the hill...