•  
Angus Clydesdale
Aye, me too!
Jan 2021
9:21pm, 13 Jan 2021
10,920 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Hence why i havent used mine over the winter - hopefully I will be more experience next year and will use it all year round
Jan 2021
8:57am, 14 Jan 2021
37,065 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Part of logic of getting canoe vs. kayak for me was that there is more chance of saying to someone "you're going to be in a boat, not in the water!" so you can wrap up warm, but don't need a full wet suit / dry suit. As long as it's a safe water location like the small loch I go to.
Jan 2021
9:02am, 14 Jan 2021
14,940 posts
  •  
Garfield
That sounds good :) G. There's not much scope for canoeing where I live...the Basingstoke Canal perhaps, but then there are locks to contend with, unless I feel like portaging! ;) We do have an inflatable Sevylor canoe - compact and fairly good quality.
Jan 2021
9:13am, 14 Jan 2021
37,069 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm looking forward to summer and lockdown lifting. I have a good buddy who is a kayak / canoe instructor and guide and they've got some fab locations we can go to - lochs of course, but some river routes, sea caves, near ones within a few miles, but much further afield and some amazing locations.

We've done a 5 miles as crow flies from boundary of my local authority and it just reaches to a river location for us both. Stretching the rules a bit, but outdoors, no contact between us, no stops at any locations along the way, so I think as part of "a day's exercise" it would still be OK. :-) G
Jan 2021
4:53pm, 14 Jan 2021
201 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
I quite like the idea of the Basingstoke Canal once we're allowed to travel a bit. In the summer we did the Lea River Navigation, which has locks. We were alright getting out and carrying our inflatable over, but a bit more hesitant getting back in the other side - until we saw loads of others actually just swimming, and then it was fine. Mostly, we've just done local bits on the Grand Union, though.
Jan 2021
4:54pm, 14 Jan 2021
10,927 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I cannot wait to get out on either SUP or Kayak - I plan to spend a lot of time on/in them
Feb 2021
12:11am, 23 Feb 2021
14,253 posts
  •  
HowFar?
This looks interesting, from the canoe trail website.

"Our next talk will be Andy Reid, MBE triple amputee from Afghan, author, charity fundraiser, and entrepreneur on Tuesday 23rd February 2021. Catch up with Andy and his inspirational outlook on life, the universe, and living life.

Andy has completed various charity challenges including the Warrior Challenge – 128-mile canoe and 400-mile cycle raising money for the ABF- The Soldiers Charity – previously awarded Soldier of the Year. Awarded Honorary Colonel."

You can get a free ticket for the event here: canoetrail.co.uk
Feb 2021
7:36am, 23 Feb 2021
21,956 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
That looks good. Unfortunately I’ve got an online training webinar at the same time. Wonder if I can be on 2 Zoom calls at once?! I know which one I’d rather be watching...
Feb 2021
9:27am, 23 Feb 2021
14,254 posts
  •  
HowFar?
I think the video can be watched after the event.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jubear
I know there are a few of us on here who do a bit of canoeing and kayaking. I'm doing lots as I sti...