Kayaking & Canoeing thread

35 watchers
Sep 2020
2:20pm, 11 Sep 2020
35,934 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was able to make that J stroke work pretty well, but my point in my blog comment was that I wanted to go " Stroke, stroke, stroke..." and build up a decent cadence and effort, raising heart rate etc. But the rudder section of the stroke is like effort, so it's more like "Stroke, and drift turn, stroke and drift turn, stroke and drift turn... " and I wasn't getting HR up much.

I'll work on it. Tomorrow hopefully. It's windy, so it will be hard work! :-) G
Sep 2020
2:21pm, 11 Sep 2020
2,966 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
The very last sentence in that video is what you are after Happy
Sep 2020
2:24pm, 11 Sep 2020
35,935 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Video links don't work for me but I'll copy and paste it and try and watch. Sounds like it must be a useful one! Thanks Nellers and Elsie both! :-) G
Sep 2020
2:33pm, 11 Sep 2020
37,140 posts
  •  
Nellers
Back inthe 80s and 90s when sit down open canoe racing was arriving inthe UK from North America the racers didn't use the J stroke much. They just did a "Sit and Switch" technique where they would simply switch sides to maintain direction and steering, enabling a higher stroke rate and more effort to be applied.

That might get you the result you're looking for G.
Sep 2020
3:35pm, 11 Sep 2020
35,936 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, I tried that but the canoe is quite broad at the middle so not easy to switch, but I might try that more. :-) G
Sep 2020
3:38pm, 11 Sep 2020
37,141 posts
  •  
Nellers
Yeah, the racing boats are pretty skinny so it's a lot easier to pull off.
Sep 2020
11:53am, 18 Sep 2020
10,157 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Does anyone paddleboard on here or do I need to start a new thread?
Sep 2020
12:53pm, 18 Sep 2020
19,743 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I’m thinking about it. And my young lad is getting a trial go during PE today, lucky bugger.

I don’t think you need to start another thread. It’s all paddlesport, after all.
Sep 2020
1:28pm, 18 Sep 2020
10,158 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Ok cool. I have an inflatable kayak and have had fun with that in the sea and local rivers, so much so that we brought our 13 year old grandson the same one for his birthday. It so much more fun with someone else.

I also took delivery of a paddleboard at the end of August and am really enjoying that too. Went on the river the first time and spent all day messing about on it and the kayak, and managed to stand up on my own whilst in the middle of the river. Didn't realise how much you used muscles as I felt like I had been hit by a truck the next day lol.

I have since used it on our holiday in Wales, in some beautiful coves and beaches. Have not been brave enough to try and stand up in the sea (apart from the flat calm, cove).

Interested in any tips etc but basically think I need to just "man up" and be prepared to get wet a few times :-)
Sep 2020
1:29pm, 18 Sep 2020
10,159 posts
  •  
Mandymoo

This is me in the Blue Cove in Pembrokeshire - where they do the Red Bull Cliff jumping

About This Thread

Maintained by Jubear
I know there are a few of us on here who do a bit of canoeing and kayaking. I'm doing lots as I sti...