Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Kayaking & Canoeing thread

28 watchers
13 Jan
8:53pm, 13 Jan 2021
21661 posts
Angus Clydesdale
Aye, me too!
13 Jan
9:21pm, 13 Jan 2021
10920 posts
Mandymoo
Hence why i havent used mine over the winter - hopefully I will be more experience next year and will use it all year round
14 Jan
8:57am, 14 Jan 2021
37065 posts
HappyG(rrr)
Part of logic of getting canoe vs. kayak for me was that there is more chance of saying to someone "you're going to be in a boat, not in the water!" so you can wrap up warm, but don't need a full wet suit / dry suit. As long as it's a safe water location like the small loch I go to.
14 Jan
9:02am, 14 Jan 2021
14940 posts
Garfield
That sounds good :) G. There's not much scope for canoeing where I live...the Basingstoke Canal perhaps, but then there are locks to contend with, unless I feel like portaging! ;) We do have an inflatable Sevylor canoe - compact and fairly good quality.
14 Jan
9:13am, 14 Jan 2021
37069 posts
HappyG(rrr)
I'm looking forward to summer and lockdown lifting. I have a good buddy who is a kayak / canoe instructor and guide and they've got some fab locations we can go to - lochs of course, but some river routes, sea caves, near ones within a few miles, but much further afield and some amazing locations.

We've done a 5 miles as crow flies from boundary of my local authority and it just reaches to a river location for us both. Stretching the rules a bit, but outdoors, no contact between us, no stops at any locations along the way, so I think as part of "a day's exercise" it would still be OK. :-) G
14 Jan
4:53pm, 14 Jan 2021
201 posts
LouiseRuns 🌹🇬🇧 🇪🇺
I quite like the idea of the Basingstoke Canal once we're allowed to travel a bit. In the summer we did the Lea River Navigation, which has locks. We were alright getting out and carrying our inflatable over, but a bit more hesitant getting back in the other side - until we saw loads of others actually just swimming, and then it was fine. Mostly, we've just done local bits on the Grand Union, though.
14 Jan
4:54pm, 14 Jan 2021
10927 posts
Mandymoo
I cannot wait to get out on either SUP or Kayak - I plan to spend a lot of time on/in them

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jubear
I know there are a few of us on here who do a bit of canoeing and kayaking. I'm doing lots as I sti...