"Junk" Miles

4 watchers
Jul 2013
2:03pm, 24 Jul 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Chriisty99
Hey everyone,

Lately Ive started running to more places like our running club, our running to football training instead of getting a lift. These runs normally are a 5 mile round trip which is split into two. Im trying to rack up the miles but im not sure how beneficial these extra miles will be. Will they help at all?
Jul 2013
2:17pm, 24 Jul 2013
956 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
Hello and welcome to Fetch - in my world there is no such thing as junk miles... if it's not doing you harm then there's no harm in doing them (but I'm a simple soul and expect to be shot down in flames) :-)
Jul 2013
2:20pm, 24 Jul 2013
5,993 posts
  •  
Binks
I don't believe they exist either, not if you are on less than 60 miles per week anyway.

There are "stupid" miles those. These are miles done when injured or really ill.
Jul 2013
2:22pm, 24 Jul 2013
24,782 posts
  •  
swittle
I agree with Tarahumara - a runner of some pedigree ;) I'd suggest that the miles one runs and how one runs them should be tied in to *An Aim*, whether it be a PB attempt, a specific event, or even weight loss. None of these trouble me nowadays, btw ;)
Jul 2013
2:24pm, 24 Jul 2013
216 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Ionic impel (I thout I typed, "in principle", but let's leave auto text to do its work) what youre talking about won't do any harm.

To me, the only pointless running is that which (with deference to a "long run" which is tiring no matter what) is fast enough to leave you tired the next day, but not fast enough to make you quicker. This is what Sean Yates referred to as junk, where I first heard the expression. E.g 8 miles at half marathon pace.

For a full answer, buy my book ;-)
Jul 2013
2:26pm, 24 Jul 2013
2 posts
  •  
Chriisty99
Thanks everyone, any more input is appreciated!
Jul 2013
2:31pm, 24 Jul 2013
2,244 posts
  •  
Dooogs
CFJr – speaking of which, are miles at ‘race pace’ (e.g. at HM-pace when training for a HM) junk miles, or are they useful to get more familiar with the expected race day pace?
Jul 2013
12:55pm, 26 Jul 2013
2,495 posts
  •  
run free
.C99 - you're awesome - certainly helps reduce carbon footprint and hopefully inspires others around you to do the same....take the legs for a run. Junk miles - is taking the car for a ride - when you could either walk/run or cycle.
Jul 2013
1:08pm, 26 Jul 2013
1,964 posts
  •  
Curly45
My definition is the same as Carlos F :)

Doogs there are times you want to practice race pace, but they should be a session, so limited in duration and number and aa part of your existing weeks training.

I like 3 x 2 miles at HMP for example, but I would run that late in race build up as part of a 50+ week and I would only do one other run at effort that week.

Am sure others will explain better, but its in context so cant be junk. Junk is over stress on the body for scant reward. Slow running doesn't overstress, although the rewards may be small. Most people who do junk miles run their easy runs too fast.
Jul 2013
1:19pm, 26 Jul 2013
51,881 posts
  •  
Gobi
There is a place for 8 miles at HMP

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hey everyone,

Lately Ive started running to more places like our running club, our running to f...