"Junk" Miles

4 watchers
Jul 2013
1:26pm, 26 Jul 2013
2,320 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Thanks, both - I ended up attempting 5 miles at RP (didn't quite work for part of the first two miles due to absurd gradients and over-doing the downhills ;) but went well in the latter half of the session). Not planning to try it more than once a fortnight, though - so every 6th or 8th run...
Jul 2013
5:00pm, 26 Jul 2013
13,284 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I log all the runs with the dog - we only do a 1.7 mile loop at the moment whilst he's young, and it's stop-start whilst we fish him out of the bushes, or pick up his poo - but I log it all. Choose a suitable category for it, and you can always filter it out.
Jul 2013
5:03pm, 26 Jul 2013
12,955 posts
  •  
Chromey
Hahahahahahahaha. Poo....log. *snort*
Jul 2013
6:34pm, 26 Jul 2013
4,255 posts
  •  
Phoenix Lesley
I agree Lord Fetch But I never put the time as they pee/poop/sniff breaks can add up as I take both of Clan White Fluff ;-)
Jul 2013
11:38pm, 28 Jul 2013
717 posts
  •  
IanRunner
In my opinion the more miles the better. I don't know where this junk miles thing come from, must be an American term. There are not a lot of top American runners.

Once I read that Coe did so many extra miles at a certain time of day but they didn't count. What a load of rubbish! Anything I run is being recorded.

When top runners are doing 120 miles plus you can't tell me that every mile they run is perfect.

I try to run as much as I can. The most important thing I have learnt is running these easy or so- called junk miles at an easy pace.
Jul 2013
11:58am, 29 Jul 2013
220 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Easy isn't junk*, mainly because they have a positive effect on recovery and fitness. Run those same miles 1 min/mile faster and they'd have little/no value, other than tiring you out.

*what we might also be demonstrating is that this is an unhelpfully vague expression that means different things to different people...
Jul 2013
12:18pm, 29 Jul 2013
851 posts
  •  
Pedro_Perez
No such thing in my book, bad training yes but no miles are junk. :-)
Jul 2013
12:22pm, 29 Jul 2013
852 posts
  •  
Pedro_Perez
Had a couple of "I need a wee" stops during Sundays run and an 8 minute "potty stop at parkrun! ", it was quite comical to see my daughter sat on the potty watching and clapping the parkrunners, she made a few people laugh.

Those miles are smile miles. :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hey everyone,

Lately Ive started running to more places like our running club, our running to f...