Junior V Adult Running Shoes

1 watcher
Jan 2022
10:17am, 13 Jan 2022
33,611 posts
  •  
Sushi.
HappyG(rrr) I think 12mm to minimalist is maybe a bit drastic.

Was thinking of maybe losing a couple of mm for starters.

I'm sure every 'drop' has pros and cons though.

I had no idea heel drop differences existed when I started using mizuno waveriders.

They were neutral and suggested by the peeps doing my gait analysis way back when I was a comparative youngster and new to this running malarkey

Am always interested in learning and it's still nit a topic I know much about so feel free to discuss benefits of minimalist shoes
Jan 2022
11:05am, 13 Jan 2022
40,914 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hmm, well, I'm not qualified to say much about minimalist, but happy to relate my experience (of 1!)

I started with Saucony (8mm drop or more - possibly 10 or 12mm) when I first started training in 2008. I got shin splints, so was recommended to stop landing on my heels, then I got calf strain, from running more on mid/front foot. But this was all in the era that I was building up distance to my first marathon. May all have been un related. I changed at that time to Inov-8 (various - some 6mm some 4mm drop). I also run offroad a lot so those were hard shoes, very little cushioning (rock plates and all that). I have had various injuries since, but not knee, hip, shin, ITB or any of the common ones.

Whether my experiences and injuries or lack of are to do with running volume, other cross training / stretching, running form, terrain (a lot of off road), or the relatively low drop shoes, I really couldn't say!

I run in anything nowadays, but tend to avoid the big drop shoes, but not religiously so.

The things I think are beneficial are:

* care on volume - obvious, if coming back from injury or any other gap, build up slowly and carefully: distance, time on feet, and difficulty (not straight into speed work or steep hill work etc.)
* bit of TLC - stretching, some other core work etc.
* form - can't say I've got best, but obvious things would be don't bend forward, don't lean back (landing on heels), upright, chest up etc.
* terrain - run off road as much as poss. Tarmac and concrete can't be good for human joints etc? Anyway, it's prettier in the woods, hills and muddy trails!
* shoes - find the ones that work for you. Don't change too much too soon. But... maybe rotate shoes, try using 2 or 3 pairs in rotation rather than 1 all the time until they are trashed? Variation generally must be good, surely?

Lots of love, me x :-) G

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sushi.
I ordered what I thought was a pair of my usual running shoes-

Mizuno Waverider Women's

I have received -

Mizuno Waverider Junior.

I've tried to find out the differences between them but have so far only managed to establish they have the same heel drop.

A lot of the technical stuff mentioned sounds the same.
I've even seen it say somewhere that they are ideal for the older child that runs seriously.

They go up to an adult size 6.

The soles do look differen...