Journey to Zero Waste

26 watchers
Aug 2018
4:08pm, 14 Aug 2018
3,217 posts
  •  
run free
Sorry correction - Passihaus requires very little energy to heat or cool or light up. FYI: wimbishpassivhaus.com

Nice find Lizzie. I once went to see Ben Lawson's house and his eco-sustainable lifestyle. His house is totally off grid + only wood, mud and stones used to build the house. It is sooo beautiful. + he was living a zero waste lifestyle....then got married and found he was forced to get a washing machine to cope with kids! Anyway here is Ben Law ben-law.co.uk
Aug 2018
9:04pm, 14 Aug 2018
18,064 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
brightonpermaculture.org.uk
Aug 2018
9:46pm, 14 Aug 2018
214 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
We also have building consent rules to meet, and they are especially stringent on things that might make for a leaky house, so I suspect alu drinks cans would not be allowed!
The councils do seem to be amenable to passivhaus though, especially because the building code here is quite behind places like the UK in terms of insulation.
Aug 2018
10:51pm, 14 Aug 2018
3,218 posts
  •  
run free
Ooh Lizzie - that looks tempting! However just seen this: permaculture.org.uk and it is this Saturday....which means will have to give up a marathon. Think I check in....

Jen - what I like about NZ is that at least your building does not have to look exactly like the rest of the street. You can have a bit more personal character.
Aug 2018
12:30pm, 15 Aug 2018
3,219 posts
  •  
run free
Am currently making an eco-enzyme (old oranges, lemons and apple) and looking forward to seeing how it works. Just trying one batch first: enzymesos.com

From what have read on the web should have a Ph of 3-5 which should therefore be as good as other cleaners.....3 more weeks to go.

If any good think should test using white sugar as have inherited a whole load of white sugar.
Aug 2018
1:50pm, 15 Aug 2018
18,066 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Sugar into jam
Aug 2018
8:48pm, 15 Aug 2018
3,220 posts
  •  
run free
Not really into sweet stuff, except for eco-enzyme and want a clear liquid rather than a brown liquid. So gonna try white sugar in my next mix.
Aug 2018
9:08pm, 15 Aug 2018
3,221 posts
  •  
run free
Whaddya think about sawdust toilets?
Aug 2018
10:40pm, 15 Aug 2018
18,077 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Toilet: happy using them at campsites/rural huts, not realistic at urban home?
Aug 2018
10:51pm, 15 Aug 2018
3,222 posts
  •  
run free
Hmmm - it should make good compost right as the compost temperature should heat it enough to kill all the bad stuff. Seems to get lots of good reviews. Just thinking about creating a lady shed in the garden with me compost toilet......

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
FT Article on how broken recycling is:
ft.com

Sustainability:
----------------
A growing "want" (consumption) has an impact on our world's resources. Historically we have gone through periods of frugality & eco-consciousness and always returned to the same apathy & couldn't give a damn about the environment we live in.

A linear economy means products head for the landfill. As landfills fill quickly, incinerators are now being put into place in the UK. Recycling is a broken system due to economics and incineration is simply the destruction of our resources.

The best would be for a circular economy and ways to close the loop.

Zero wasters care about their impact. On our journey to a zero waste lifestyle what are we willing to compromise on?

Resources for reducing landfill waste:

Freecycle: freecycle.org

or sell it on Ebay, car boot
Wrap: wrap.org.uk

How Stuff Works: home.howstuffworks.com

Food waste: consider composting. For cooked food waste have a look at Bokashi (FYI Anaerobic composting: http://www.alternative-energy-tutorials.com/aerobic-composting/anaerobic-composting.html)