Journey to Zero Waste

26 watchers
Mar 2020
3:42am, 21 Mar 2020
521 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
RF: I'll let you know how it goes! Initial report is that some of the wallpaper/paint layer comes off easily and some doesn't!

Any reuse/recycle ideas for building site waste gratefully appreciated.
Mar 2020
7:58am, 21 Mar 2020
13,719 posts
  •  
richmac
Depends on exactly what is in the building site waste.

Give us a list and I'm sure we can give you pointers.
Mar 2020
8:42am, 21 Mar 2020
522 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
here are a few to get started with:

- old carpet with plastic backing - we were going to use it as mulch until we saw the plastic
- old wooden floor boards, full of woodworm, and have probably been varished in the past
- old wooden sarking, full of woodworm, probably not treated
- 1.5m of plastic conduit
Mar 2020
10:43am, 21 Mar 2020
13,721 posts
  •  
richmac
Stuff with woodworm unfortunately is probably only for for incineration.

The carpet, maybe a liner in a planter?
Mar 2020
11:57am, 21 Mar 2020
3,791 posts
  •  
run free
Rich - would the carpet create micro-plastic in the soil.....

Have to admit that about 15 years ago, had to remove carpet from a place and used it as weed mat in the garden. Seems to have disappeared.
Mar 2020
5:37pm, 21 Mar 2020
523 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
I was worried about the micro plastic in the garden (and potentially some washed through to the little stream at the bottom and out to sea). If it wasn't plastic backed then I would be happy to use it in the garden. Though I guess plastic in landfill sucks too.

We'd assumed hte carpet was old enough to be natural materials, but it seems not.

We did salvage a lot of hessian from the skip (was part of the wall lining) to use in the garden.
Mar 2020
5:41pm, 21 Mar 2020
3,800 posts
  •  
run free
There are carpets that are made from polypropylene. Am uncertain how to tell the difference though. Guess if you put a flame to a sample the polypropylene would melt.
Mar 2020
12:51am, 24 Mar 2020
532 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
We now have 4 weeks of lockdown to fish stuff out of the skip before the builders come back!
Mar 2020
3:45pm, 25 Mar 2020
3,830 posts
  •  
run free
They are gonna be thankful as you give them
more space to throw away stuff 😮
Mar 2020
6:49pm, 25 Mar 2020
535 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
:)

I was surprised that it is still fun and exciting rescuing things from a skip, even when it is your own things from your own skip!

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
FT Article on how broken recycling is:
ft.com

Sustainability:
----------------
A growing "want" (consumption) has an impact on our world's resources. Historically we have gone through periods of frugality & eco-consciousness and always returned to the same apathy & couldn't give a damn about the environment we live in.

A linear economy means products head for the landfill. As landfills fill quickly, incinerators are now being put into place in the UK. Recycling is a broken system due to economics and incineration is simply the destruction of our resources.

The best would be for a circular economy and ways to close the loop.

Zero wasters care about their impact. On our journey to a zero waste lifestyle what are we willing to compromise on?

Resources for reducing landfill waste:

Freecycle: freecycle.org

or sell it on Ebay, car boot
Wrap: wrap.org.uk

How Stuff Works: home.howstuffworks.com

Food waste: consider composting. For cooked food waste have a look at Bokashi (FYI Anaerobic composting: http://www.alternative-energy-tutorials.com/aerobic-composting/anaerobic-composting.html)