Journey to Zero Waste

26 watchers
Jan 2020
8:52pm, 18 Jan 2020
16,362 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
We took an old mattress to our recycling site today. As RH said, there was a skip labelled specifically for it.
Jan 2020
3:44am, 19 Jan 2020
504 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
Thanks - I had assumed that taking a mattress to the tip/recycling facility would mean landfill, but perhaps not. I might contact our local place before I decide what to do.
Jan 2020
4:00pm, 19 Jan 2020
164 posts
  •  
Hunkyteddy
Runners can do more. If doing a 5k/ 10k you don't HAVE to have a tshirt, I mean haven't we all got hundreds? I find doing the local ones without tshirts but with medals are better anyway.

But, does anyone know how to extend the life of running shoes? Like most I go through a few pairs but when they start getting holes it's difficult not to replace them.
Jan 2020
7:59pm, 19 Jan 2020
505 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
Hunkyteddy: I agree. I get as much as I can out of shoes, then wear them for work, then at home. Trouble is, I generate too many from running, so end up with an ever growing pile ready for wearing to work. If there were some good ways to make them last longer for running that would help a lot. And a way to recycle them after they are beyond use.
Jan 2020
10:49pm, 19 Jan 2020
3,699 posts
  •  
run free
Found running / walking technique will affect how much wear and tear the soles of your shoes will have. Since using Pose method, am still using shoes I brought from 2009/2010. They have done more than 500 miles. Have not been injured.

For side holes - put a patch on them. Depending on fabric you use can sew or glue. Type of glue will depend on fabric.

For the sandals I run in, have had to use shoe glue to try to keep the soles and straps together! Need to find something stronger now!
Mar 2020
1:31pm, 14 Mar 2020
21,294 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Recommendations needed please folks.

I've given away my Keep Cup and need a replacement with a non-plastic lid (and body). I usually carry a small mug sometimes but occasionally need something with a lid.

Fixing sole holes in suede boots.

Ta ever so.
Mar 2020
4:04pm, 18 Mar 2020
3,755 posts
  •  
run free
RS - in Asia we use a cup cover. Dunno if they have that here. Looks like this: angleeseng.com.sg

They have metal, porcelain and hard plastic covers. Most fit any cup.
Mar 2020
4:05pm, 18 Mar 2020
3,756 posts
  •  
run free
Usually costs anything from $1 SGD upwards
Mar 2020
4:07pm, 18 Mar 2020
3,757 posts
  •  
run free
Otherwise could you use a glass bottle with a metal lid as your cup and use a sleeve on it if it is too hot?
Mar 2020
4:21pm, 18 Mar 2020
3,758 posts
  •  
run free
Or glass jar (rather than a bottle)

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
FT Article on how broken recycling is:
ft.com

Sustainability:
----------------
A growing "want" (consumption) has an impact on our world's resources. Historically we have gone through periods of frugality & eco-consciousness and always returned to the same apathy & couldn't give a damn about the environment we live in.

A linear economy means products head for the landfill. As landfills fill quickly, incinerators are now being put into place in the UK. Recycling is a broken system due to economics and incineration is simply the destruction of our resources.

The best would be for a circular economy and ways to close the loop.

Zero wasters care about their impact. On our journey to a zero waste lifestyle what are we willing to compromise on?

Resources for reducing landfill waste:

Freecycle: freecycle.org

or sell it on Ebay, car boot
Wrap: wrap.org.uk

How Stuff Works: home.howstuffworks.com

Food waste: consider composting. For cooked food waste have a look at Bokashi (FYI Anaerobic composting: http://www.alternative-energy-tutorials.com/aerobic-composting/anaerobic-composting.html)