Journey to Zero Waste

26 watchers
Apr 2023
2:25pm, 29 Apr 2023
5,286 posts
  •  
run free
Also @fields if you’re going to purchase a new one, the shop you purchased it from recycle for you. At one point Currys was giving discounts

tipsku I love the idea of preloved running shoe shop. I like to try shoes on before I buy them
Apr 2023
3:27pm, 29 Apr 2023
3,000 posts
  •  
tipsku
Run free, if you live close enough, you can go there and try on the shoes in store. I live over 3 hours away so it isn't an option to travel that far just to buy a pair of shoes. I'm ordering shoes that I've had before or the following model. I'll report back once I've got them.
May 2023
7:48pm, 1 May 2023
5,287 posts
  •  
run free
Thx Tipsku. I wonder if I cycled through there on bicycle in 2019 on my way to Trieste and had an ice cream along the Rhine......
May 2023
9:40pm, 1 May 2023
9,470 posts
  •  
Fields
Oh I didn’t know that rf, and I bought it already. Boots did not make that obvious on their website
13 Jan
7:42am, 13 Jan 2024
12,522 posts
  •  
Joopsy
I am really trying to think about how I reduce my personal waste this year, I am vegan and generally recycle/reuse where I can but teading a book just before Christmas made me realise I just dont do enough to cut waste out.
14 Jan
12:12am, 14 Jan 2024
5,324 posts
  •  
run free
Here try thinking in this way: stlcityrecycles.com

14 Jan
12:16am, 14 Jan 2024
5,325 posts
  •  
run free
Or this

Recycle really should be the last option. Why? Because although it is a convenient option, it is also a broken system. Much of our waste is handled in different countries. A number of those countries have poor waste management system like China, Malaysia, Indonesia, India..... In addition to this there are places simply burning the waste (like the UK). How much plastic waste is actually recycled?
14 Jan
9:45pm, 14 Jan 2024
12,528 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Thanks, I just need to be far more organised, especially with food for work. Im often away for the entire week so have got into a habit of preparing 5 days worth of food to take with me. Every office has a fridge that I can use and I just have to think about things a bit more.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
FT Article on how broken recycling is:
ft.com

Sustainability:
----------------
A growing "want" (consumption) has an impact on our world's resources. Historically we have gone through periods of frugality & eco-consciousness and always returned to the same apathy & couldn't give a damn about the environment we live in.

A linear economy means products head for the landfill. As landfills fill quickly, incinerators are now being put into place in the UK. Recycling is a broken system due to economics and incineration is simply the destruction of our resources.

The best would be for a circular economy and ways to close the loop.

Zero wasters care about their impact. On our journey to a zero waste lifestyle what are we willing to compromise on?

Resources for reducing landfill waste:

Freecycle: freecycle.org

or sell it on Ebay, car boot
Wrap: wrap.org.uk

How Stuff Works: home.howstuffworks.com

Food waste: consider composting. For cooked food waste have a look at Bokashi (FYI Anaerobic composting: http://www.alternative-energy-tutorials.com/aerobic-composting/anaerobic-composting.html)