Jacket for when its cold and wet

1 watcher
Feb 2013
10:14am, 12 Feb 2013
10,085 posts
  •  
runner duck
i've got a windproof rohan fleece top that i sometimes wear under my omm kam jacket. but i haven't had to try it in really awful conditions (yet!)
Feb 2013
10:29am, 12 Feb 2013
4,655 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
mblnFERCr if you were cold in 180gm merino plus OMM jacket it must have been rough. I've worn similar with a heavy brushed polyprop top and been warm, but you're right about getting wet from inside

That Spine isn't a normal 'race' but more of an adventure. Mountaineering kit would be needed I'd think on the high Pennines in January. Possibly a light Primaloft jacket and a much heavier water-proof than most runners would normally wear

Power Stretch tights make a massive difference in the cold needlesports.com and a decent hat joe-brown.com
Feb 2013
10:30am, 12 Feb 2013
4,656 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
needlesports.com

Buffalo mitts are another favourite of mine. Not worn often but superb in the most extreme of conditions :-)
Feb 2013
10:37am, 12 Feb 2013
19,508 posts
  •  
ogee
I've signed up for the Spine. Looks like an epic race, will be investigating a lot of clothing before January.
Feb 2013
10:51am, 12 Feb 2013
2,808 posts
  •  
MoscowFlyer
I love my Gore, works great in the rain on top of a base layer.

amazon.co.uk
Feb 2013
11:06am, 12 Feb 2013
4,657 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I think that if it's properly wet and windy and you're either going to be out for hours, or moving relatively slowly then Gore-tex or e-vent is probably best. I bought a Mountain Equipment Gore-tex recently for long days out in the Lakes etc, and it's much more water-proof (and importantly, wind-proof) than lighter jackets. Not cheap but I'm please with it
Feb 2013
11:07am, 12 Feb 2013
4,658 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Spine looks a decent run out ogee. I see they have introduced a 100 mile / 60 hour 'fun-run' now too ;-)
Feb 2013
11:11am, 12 Feb 2013
353 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Thanks DT, I appreciate that these conditions are rare - but then entering 'normal' events I've been under geared or prepared, for conditions 3 times in a year - and that's in the south east ;). I saw quite a few on the Winter100 with more structured jackets who weren't suffering like I did, but didn't have the sense to ask what they were...
Ive had a look at primaloft jackets, but the more 'runnable' looking ones seem to be water resistant, rather than proof. I'll also check those mitts - couldn't even cinch my hood down on sunday - fingers too cold!
Feb 2013
12:00pm, 12 Feb 2013
4,659 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
runningbear.co.uk

Running Bear polyprop top is great value thermal. Sizing is a bit out and I'd buy a size larger than normal mind
Feb 2013
12:09pm, 12 Feb 2013
4,327 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
DT - it's these non-fellrunning southern types. They're just softer than us up North ;-)

As a fellrunner, DT, you should know that the only baselayer you are allowed to buy is a helly!

Winter Hill on Sunday was "interesting" - Heavy snow, biting cold wind and bogs. Full body cover was the order of the day (except for Rob Hope of course). I have to admit, I was a bit chilly even with my helly base-layer, vest, hat and kamelika smock over the top. Had the warm gloves out a few times, which warmed me up. Should have put my thicker tights on as well - only had the thin ones on (nearly went for shorts tbh) - winter weight tights would have been overkill though.

The biggest issue was numb feet for the descents after battling with the bogmonster across to the shooting hut and at the bottom on the Belmont side. There was some mincing going on!

Need to invest a warm fleece-layer before the Saunders I think.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I asked this question last year, about this time after dropping to the half at Steyning Stinger - th...