Jack daniels marathon plan help

2 watchers
May 2014
5:37pm, 19 May 2014
99 posts
  •  
jdarun
I have bought the book, honest, and found it very useful...but at the moment it's at the bottom of a heap of 100 boxes (mid house move) and I can't get to it. Can anyone tell me what I should be doing at the start of a marathon plan? I suppose I'm going to do something like his plan A. Have decided to enter either chester (5 October) or Chesterfield (14 sept) so I'd like to get on with it pretty sharp. Have been running moderate mileage recently, including a weekly 2h long run, so I'm hoping I can dive straight in at the appropriate place without too much risk.
May 2014
5:40pm, 19 May 2014
17,664 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I have never followed one of his plans, just the general principle of threshold work, VO2 max intervals and a LSR.
I believe that for marathons, he adds MP runs, though it is clear that he doesn't consider them key.

My book is in the loft though,and whilst I probably know where it is, its like an oven up there.

If nobody turns up with something more specific, I'll venture up when its cooler.
May 2014
6:57pm, 19 May 2014
100 posts
  •  
jdarun
Thanks! Actually, I now see there's a new edition (mine is 2nd). The updates sound like they might be worth having - half marathon, age-related stuff and different marathon programmes are all of interest to me, so maybe it's worth the ~10 quid to save me rooting thorough my heap of boxes. Anyone else got comments on the new version?
May 2014
7:21pm, 19 May 2014
17,665 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Pretty sure I read that the new edition only differs from the older ones in terms of the LSR pace, but I could be wrong.
May 2014
7:25pm, 19 May 2014
1,022 posts
  •  
Craig_
Someone posted this link on another thread recently and it has a fair bit of info on the Jack Daniels approach -

fellrnr.com
FR
May 2014
7:50pm, 19 May 2014
1,543 posts
  •  
FR
I was hoping this was about drinking JD. Terribly disappointed. :(
May 2014
8:09pm, 19 May 2014
2,792 posts
  •  
lunaman
Haha, FR, yes, tips like: 'If you are still thirsty 3-4 hours after the marathon, keep drinking.'
May 2014
8:53pm, 19 May 2014
529 posts
  •  
Muddie
Lol, yes, like the Medoc Marathon but with JD. :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
I have bought the book, honest, and found it very useful...but at the moment it's at the bottom of ...