Ive started getting cramp WTF is that all about?

2 watchers
Mar 2012
3:57pm, 3 Mar 2012
27,272 posts
  •  
Max71
Long version............

The first time I got cramp (as an adult) was a couple of weeks ago and I dropped like a fricking stone, as my right calf was being massaged I watched as my left one went into spasms and just bloody locked up. I was in agony.

Fast forward to today and I got to mile 16 and I felt, what I now know to be that familiar precursor tingle I stretched out and carried on running but all the time I would feel the tingle. Once I stopped and began my walking cool down mile (yeah, I miscalculated where I'd finish) I was a mess, both of my calves were completely fucked and screaming in agony.

I drank water throughout my run. I took shot blocks, with caffeine, every half hour, I'd carb loaded last night, I'd have lashings of sleep.

What else can I do?

SHORT VERSION

I've been getting cramp
Mar 2012
4:09pm, 3 Mar 2012
3,713 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Getting old Max ? ;-)
Mar 2012
4:11pm, 3 Mar 2012
363 posts
  •  
whiskey
i've been a sufferer of cramp for years, normally means i need a bit more sodium for me, may be worth looking at. also tonic water is good for cramp in general as the quinine does something or other to prevent/reduce it. please note i'm not a medical expert, hence the very vague descriptions, this is just what has helped me in the past.
Mar 2012
4:17pm, 3 Mar 2012
2,251 posts
  •  
Lalli
Bung an electrolyte tablet or two in your water. I use Zero tablets and have heard Nuuns are good too. Never had a problem since. They replace the sodium you use up sweating, esp on long runs, which is generally what causes cramp.
Mar 2012
4:18pm, 3 Mar 2012
2,252 posts
  •  
Lalli
amazon.co.uk
I like the cherry/orange ones best, but the citrus are fine too. Good luck.
Mar 2012
4:21pm, 3 Mar 2012
1,661 posts
  •  
ndellar
If I get cramp it tends to be in warmer temperatures and when sitting/in bed not whilst actually running. But of course I got paranoid one day it would appear on a run. I had cramps last weekend after 2 runs in warmer temps

I don't know if it is placebo effect, but I've found drinking water with Nuun tablets in before an LSR (the day before), during the run and also some replacement post LSR has apparently stamped out the problem. Just a thought you might want to try
Mar 2012
4:24pm, 3 Mar 2012
11,850 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I got cramp last summer, ruined Chester for me. Don't know what caused it, never happened again.
I would say that if you are normally OK, then don't change too much. I think you can overdo electrolyte tabs, I only use half in a litre- makes me too thirsty otherwise.
Mar 2012
8:47pm, 3 Mar 2012
27,275 posts
  •  
Max71
Right.. I shall get some Nuun... citrus. I'm so paranoid now. But still fabulous

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Max71
Long version............

The first time I got cramp (as an adult) was a couple of weeks ago and I...