ITBS- lump normal?

1 watcher
Nov 2012
10:20pm, 18 Nov 2012
48 posts
  •  
HiMoz
Ive been cycling for two years issue free but started turbo training about a month ago and am getting symptoms of ITBS. In addition I also have a lump over the effected area! I'm unable to get to a physio at the moment and was just wondering if anyone knew if this is normal! :/

Nov 2012
9:51pm, 20 Nov 2012
2 posts
  •  
MattyMatysek
I don't think it is, I hadn't had ITBS until September and I had no clue what it was and got petrified! I thought I was peaking at 21 but I saw a few physios and all was well with a strict icing and massage schedule. A lump could exist as its an inflamed piece of tissue but it has to be VERY inflammed to be visible I assume. Hope this helps mate. Buy a foam roller and attach your ITB
Nov 2012
3:26pm, 21 Nov 2012
2,191 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
I would have this checked out before you jump on a foam roller. ITBS would not normally present with visible swelling and certainly not to this extent, if you cant see a physio perhaps GP? I have torn my lateral meniscus in the past and had swelling in a similar area (though it didn't look quite the same). Are you feeling instability?

I am sure far more qaulified poepel will offer a view soon enough but I thin you should have this looked at ASAP, might be something minor but then you'll know.
Mar 2013
2:05am, 12 Mar 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Jeff67
I have had an ITB problem for the last 3 weeks,I just thought it was a sore knee till I saw a physio. My knee looks similar to your pic swollen on the outside. I have had to stop running which is difficult as I run a half marathon next sunday,but rest and ice is helping. I would get it checked out ASAP, but in the meantime try gentle massage of the outer thigh and anti flams too doing this should not hurt.
I have had 3 physio sessions, my running style checked and shoes selected to correct my overpronation, plus the above helped.
Now I am just hoping I can get round the Liverpool half. Good luck hope this helps!!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HiMoz
Ive been cycling for two years issue free but started turbo training about a month ago and am getti...