It's all in the hips....

3 watchers
Jul 2013
12:41pm, 20 Jul 2013
10 posts
  •  
Snigel
Hello. I'm a 50 year old (ex - according to my GP) diabetic runner with epilepsy and now it looks like I have mild osteoarthritis in my right hip (my own interpretation of the X-Ray image - I was an orthopaedic theatre nurse for far too many years...).
Doesn't hurt when exercising (except Body Balance class, as I discovered today) but is excruciatingly painful when moving from flexion to extension (like getting up from a chair, or from bending over).
What I am after is any words of advice from anyone who may have been in a similar situation or, best of all, someone who is still able to run with a replacement hip. My favourite distance is 10k, I like halfs and I've done one full (in 4:44:59, so v. slow). I want to be able to do more marathons...
Anyone out there?
Jul 2013
1:58pm, 20 Jul 2013
5,635 posts
  •  
flip
Hello, can't help you but hopefully someone will come along with some advice. Welcome to fetch .
Jul 2013
2:25pm, 20 Jul 2013
6,567 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Welcome to Fetch, sorry to hear of the pain in your hips hopefully someone will be along soon with some advice for yoelcome to Fetch
Jul 2013
3:01pm, 20 Jul 2013
5,271 posts
  •  
Ness
Hello Snigel,

I had a hip resurfacing done in February 2003. I took up running in July of that year, initially to try to improve the muscle tone in my legs. I've run in lots of races since, including 21 half marathons. I checked with my consultant before I started running the half marathons. He said it was fine.
Jul 2013
9:13am, 21 Jul 2013
11 posts
  •  
Snigel
Thanks all, and thanks Ness. It's running that's seen my diabetes off and it's running that keeps me sane - I really don't want to have to give up.
With any luck, I'll be able to persuade one of my old consultants to do it for me. Incidentally - I scrubbed for one of the first McMinn resurfacings, with Derek. Brilliant surgeon. Foul temper!!
Jul 2013
9:48am, 21 Jul 2013
908 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
My late neighbour Eric had two hip replacements, the second after he wore the first one out. He remained a top fell runner for his age (He was almost 85 when he finally packed up) and ran the GNR in under two hours on his 80th birthday.

To be fair he was about 5 ft 6 in and weighed all of seven stone wringing wet so he wasn't exactly a big man so the wear factor would have been less.

Eric is sadly no longer with us but as he would have said

"Its all in the mind lad".

Complete bollox of course but he was a Yorkshireman :-)
Jul 2013
4:46pm, 23 Jul 2013
5,273 posts
  •  
Ness
My hip is a "Cormet" resurfacing...

http://www.coringroup.com/medical_professionals/products/hips/cormet/#

It was put in by Mr Krikler who works at the University Hospital Coventry.
Jul 2013
5:46pm, 24 Jul 2013
12 posts
  •  
Snigel
Thanks Ness - and you had one of the very best surgeons as well.
Jul 2013
5:49pm, 24 Jul 2013
13 posts
  •  
Snigel
Saw GP today - wants me to stop running. How very surprising. I don't want to stop. Equally surprising. Cutting down, run alternate days or 3 x per week or something and maybe do 2 short ones on running days (e.g. 2 x 5k) and lose the weekly 10 - 15miler. Gutted tbh.
Jul 2013
6:16pm, 24 Jul 2013
11,322 posts
  •  
runner duck
:( that's rubbish, snigel.

hope someone more knowledgeable than me comes along with some advice.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hello. I'm a 50 year old (ex - according to my GP) diabetic runner with epilepsy and now it looks l...