Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

It's all in the hips....

3 watchers
Jul 2013
6:39pm, 24 Jul 2013
1148 posts
runnyeyes
That's very disappointing. Are you being referred to an orthopaedic consultant?
Jul 2013
6:49pm, 24 Jul 2013
66 posts
Ymee
My sister told me yesterday she just read a large study which found no good evidence that running causes OA, which underlines the advice sufferers are often given - if your joints are buggered, that's a bitch, but what's important is supporting what's left of them. That means keeping the muscles strong above and below the affected joint, and keeping your weight down. Although it's called "wear and tear arthritis" to make it easy to understand, that's actually a tremendous oversimplification. Listen to your body and if a particular activity really really aggravates it, stop. But if it feels ok running, then keep running. Don't know much about running post hip op, though, sorry.
Jul 2013
6:51pm, 24 Jul 2013
5279 posts
Ness
Hello Snigel,

Can't remember when I sent f-mail stuff and when I posted on this thread. Forgive me ;) I'm a bit scatterbrained at the moment, sorting out work stuff before I go on my holiday on Monday.

So sorry to see your news about running. I have been able to run on my resurfaced hip. I am not sure if I could have run on a total hip replacement. I have got on well with my fixed hip. My consultant has always said I should be able to continue running on it. One of his junior doctors tried telling me it wasn't a good idea when I went for a post op check up a few years ago but I ignored that. I recently read, surprisingly for me, there have been a few concerns about failure rates in some resurfaced hips in women. Fortunately I've been lucky.

In terms of advice, I'd go with that given by your consultant. He/she would be the best one to go by.
Jul 2013
8:42pm, 26 Jul 2013
14 posts
Snigel
Thanks all. Not seen an ortho consultant formally yet but a good few of my very good friends are ortho consultants - funnily enough the sporty ones say to keep on and the rather more, ahem, sedentary ones advise against.

I.ve decided to put a lot of work into my "technique". I'm very much a heel striker except when I sprint/stride, so I'm going to relearn how to run with a less pounding action by moving to midfoot and more even/dance-like.
Jul 2013
8:43pm, 26 Jul 2013
15 posts
Snigel
(I'm an ex ortho theatre nurse by the way!!)

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Snigel
Hello. I'm a 50 year old (ex - according to my GP) diabetic runner with epilepsy and now it looks l...