It hurts behind my knee when I walk up stairs

1 watcher
Apr 2012
8:48pm, 8 Apr 2012
60 posts
  •  
trebormint
No visible swelling and it is not tender to touch, but it hurts in the middle of the back of my knee when I walk up stairs or if I do butt kicks. This is not good at the best of times, but I'm running London in 2 weeks.

Panic!!!

No amount of chocolate is going to solve this, not even Green and Blacks organic dark chocolate.
Apr 2012
8:56pm, 8 Apr 2012
16,991 posts
  •  
swittle
Medical types may be along soon - I am not but I'd ice it and keep off your feet initially. Don't do anything that causes pain. And don't worry about losing fitness: you won't :)
Apr 2012
9:03pm, 8 Apr 2012
61 posts
  •  
trebormint
Yep, taking it easy and have had an ice patch on it. I only had a couple more short runs planned, but am suspecting they are not going to happen! :-(

Maybe I need to move to a bungalow for the next couple of weeks!!
Apr 2012
9:04pm, 8 Apr 2012
16,993 posts
  •  
swittle
Funnily enough, I tried climbing the stairs at a 90 degree angle today, to ease my hamstring. Sort of worked! See you at VLM!
Apr 2012
9:20pm, 8 Apr 2012
3,003 posts
  •  
SharonD
When did it start, what were you doing, do you do other stuff besides running, if so what?
What type of pain is it (dull, achey, sharp/pulling), what does your job involve? if sitting on a chair does it hurt to straighten your leg from flexed? Does sitting on a chair itself feel uncomfortable on the backs of your legs? You could go have a sports massage if its still sore after a couple of days rest-they can run through some tests to check out cause, if just tight hammy-tendon then massage may help.
Apr 2012
9:30pm, 8 Apr 2012
62 posts
  •  
trebormint
It has been lingering a little for the last 2 weeks but was only faint - I put it down to all of the training I have been doing in the last few months. After an easy paced 10 miler yesterday I felt it a lot more and it seems a bit worse today.

Unfortunately I sit on my backside at a desk for a living. I've not had any real hamstring problems before and usually stretch them well with some foam rolling as well. I'll try to fit a sports massage in and see if that helps.

Thanks
Apr 2012
9:48pm, 8 Apr 2012
3,004 posts
  •  
SharonD
It may or may not be your hamstring which is why going to see someone would be good & would also give you peace of mind.Don't fret about missing training, you've done all the hard work and fitness for a marathon is there. Use the time you can't run to do some glute and core strengthening stuff and visualise yourself running relaxed, pain free and happy. Good luck;-)
Apr 2012
9:51pm, 8 Apr 2012
63 posts
  •  
trebormint
Thank you!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by trebormint
No visible swelling and it is not tender to touch, but it hurts in the middle of the back of my knee...